Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games that make interesting statements about heroics

In another thread, @Reality vs Adventure and @The Blackangel and I were talking about aspects of human nature explored in video games, and got to talking a bit about heroes in games. While most games I think make fairly typical statements about heroics and its value, one game that takes a very different stance regarding the ego-driven desire to be a hero is Spec Ops: The Line. What other games make unusual or unexpected statements or critiques on the idea of the hero?

Well I love how some games are making it so that you emotionally invest yourself in them. For example Uther the Lightbringer of Warcraft III, I was so amazed with his honor and like his epic story with Arthas, and it just got me dragged into his story, and at some point he was talking to Arthas about duty, and when Arthas asked him about his king duties and he wondered if he will be ever ready, and Uther just answered "No one is ready" (Or something like that).

So yeah it still gives me chills when I think about the whole story and him as a great and wise hero.

As for unusual statements, I think there is rarely or in the games I played that I couldn't tell that someone is going to say something good or bad depending on their character.

28 minutes ago, Shole said:

Well I love how some games are making it so that you emotionally invest yourself in them. For example Uther the Lightbringer of Warcraft III, I was so amazed with his honor and like his epic story with Arthas, and it just got me dragged into his story, and at some point he was talking to Arthas about duty, and when Arthas asked him about his king duties and he wondered if he will be ever ready, and Uther just answered "No one is ready" (Or something like that).

So yeah it still gives me chills when I think about the whole story and him as a great and wise hero.

Honor-that is the key. Spot on with that one. Reminds me of Witcher 3 when Geralt, who slays monsters, was asked to get involved in politics and help kill a king. He said he doesn't kill kings. He's said that on multiple occasions actually. And he only kills when necessary. Not all monsters deserve to die that were demonized by villagers that provoked the monster. 

On 12/26/2020 at 10:15 PM, StaceyPowers said:

In another thread, @Reality vs Adventure and @The Blackangel and I were talking about aspects of human nature explored in video games, and got to talking a bit about heroes in games. While most games I think make fairly typical statements about heroics and its value, one game that takes a very different stance regarding the ego-driven desire to be a hero is Spec Ops: The Line. What other games make unusual or unexpected statements or critiques on the idea of the hero?

I believe that your referring to the part in Spec Ops: The Line where innocent women and children were unjustly murdered with white phosphorus. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

I believe that your referring to the part in Spec Ops: The Line where innocent women and children were unjustly murdered with white phosphorus. 

That scene still haunts me till this day! How can you think you're a hero after doing something like that is beyond me.

8 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

That scene still haunts me till this day! How can you think you're a hero after doing something like that is beyond me.

Seriously, for the fact that he was being persuaded not to use the white phosphorus and he went ahead showed how cynical he was.