Register Now
Kane99

Star Citizen passes $340 million in crowdfunding

Star Citizen has been in development forever, but fans are still supporting it to this day, as the current crowdfunding totals have amassed over $340 million. Yes, you read that right. Star Citizen has yet to release, but seems to be in a beta state at this time. How much more money do you think this game will make before it finally releases? 

You can read more on this news here - Twinfinite

All that money down the drain.

It is in a perpetual state of pre-alpha. And never will move forward until they stop the feature creep, but it's the feature creep that brings in new money. So they entered a cycle that cannot be broken, and is slowly destined to fail. The sad part is that the only loosers in this are the gamers who will never get a complete game they signed up for.  Whether it is Star Citizen, or Squadron 42, you know the game they actually promised in 2012 but forgot about by 2013.

On 1/3/2021 at 7:41 PM, Kane99 said:

How much more money do you think this game will make before it finally releases? 

This implies it will--, nay, can release in the way we expect games to. I just can't see Star Citizen or Squadron 42 hitting store shelves at £60 without some sort of nonsense in regards to tiers, editions, levels of access, and numerous quasi-launches.

I can appreciate the ambition of this game and hope it succeeds, but it's the ambition that will be (and is, if stories about the mismanagement are true) its downfall. Good luck to it, I say.

I tend to avoid Star Citizen as a subject matter because I know from experience that trying to engage with the fanbase is a waste of time. They are the most illogically loyal people you will ever find. They take fanboyism to a whole new level. They will feed this scam, and it is a scam, tens of millions of dollars year after after year.

I'm actually dead serious, as a forum mod, when I say l will ban people for peddling this scam on VGR, and I'm not kidding.

4 hours ago, Shagger said:

I tend to avoid Star Citizen as a subject matter because I know from experience that trying to engage with the fanbase is a waste of time. They are the most illogically loyal people you will ever find. They take fanboyism to a whole new level. They will feed this scam, and it is a scam, tens of millions of dollars year after after year.

I'm actually dead serious, as a forum mod, when I say l will ban people for peddling this scam on VGR, and I'm not kidding.

It's definitely a scam and I avoided this game like the plague when I realized that after the first couple of years and the amount of money they had raised, they had hardly shown any progress. With the amount of money they've crowdfunded, there should've been a working version of the game out YEARS ago. We've seen far more expansive games developed on less of a budget.