Register Now
Cumulus

Brexit: A force for change or divide?

With a lot of focus on the divide over in the US at the moment, I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on what's going on over in the UK (where I'm from) with Brexit.

The UK officially left on 1st January, but subject to regular five year agreement reviews with the EU, and a transition of laws/power that still hasn't fully completed. With this in mind, do you think Brexit was a force for change or a force that began to divide the country?

Since Johnson has been criticizing devolution, I wouldn't be surprised to see the UK's unity weakened for a bit. That shouldn't come close to what the US are currently going through, though, especially considering the traditionally conciliatory British political culture.

However, if we're talking on a global scale, the Brexit will weaken the Western bloc, which is becoming more and more relevant now, against the Eastern bloc that's reforming with China at its head. Seeing how the US are declining and how well the EU is remaining united on the mainland, it's not crazy to say the EU will eventually become a much more significant power pole, both relatively (due to the US' decline) and absolutely.

The EU is just a bunch of bureaucrats playing at running the world, they have no real power. It's a sunday club for EU politicians, where they get together and frown at each other. No real change comes from the EU. Every member state has it's own separate systems for everything. Regardless of that there are good things that come out of the EU, like free trade. Getting cut off from that will be a blow to the UK economy. I used to order a lot of stuff from the UK personally. But if I have to pay taxes and customs from now on I'll simply take my money elsewhere. Same goes for travel. Rolling obstacles in front of that (beyond that of the obvious) can only negatively affect tourism for the UK.

I think Brexit is isolationism, which is nationalism, which is authoritarianism.

I think that one of the reasons for Brexit is due to immigration; It’s symbology is very similar to trump’s wall. Another is financial reasons, of which is always debatable. But it reminds me of trump pulling out of Paris agreement, complaining about footing the bill for NATO, etc. It’s isolationism.

They say usually USA and UK politics are related and if a rep. or dem. was elected in USA, then one in the UK follows suit or vice versa;  I just saw on the news that Scotland may become an independent country again due to Brexit. So the UK in my eyes is going down an isolationist path benefiting only the nationalists that are the far right. The alliance with NATO is becoming questionable. There is a lot of Russian propaganda out there taking hold in the far right of the world, and Putin loves the decision to Brexit. Sure he has his men working to convince those to support it in more of his disinformation/conspiracy campaign.

Anything that benefits the far right, I'm against. 

Europe coming together was a great idea and concept. But it would be totally impossible to be fully united because of the differences in language and culture. There was a lot of ego involved too. Some countries thought they were the losers and others the gainers. But it was to help all . British pride led to Brexit and they might pay heavily for it in the future.

On 2/17/2021 at 5:26 AM, Samuelkanu said:

Europe coming together was a great idea and concept. But it would be totally impossible to be fully united because of the differences in language and culture. There was a lot of ego involved too. Some countries thought they were the losers and others the gainers. But it was to help all . British pride led to Brexit and they might pay heavily for it in the future.

The thing I've noticed is that most of the ones who were crying out for Brexit suddenly changed their minds about it. I've watched the Uk parliament on a somewhat regular basis and they put our politicians to shame. The level of unprofessional behavior and disregard for their citizens is disturbing to say the least.