Register Now
Kane99

E3 to go virtual this year

Looks like the E3 expo will be taking place this year, but this time in virtual form due to the pandemic. Last year they had to cancel the 2020 E3 event, and it was looking like a physical event was a no go for this year too, but thankfully they are deciding to go the virtual route like everyone else. 

Thing is, they still need to get studios and publishers to show up, and who knows if they will. 

You can read more about this news here - VGC

I was going into this about to say I'm not surprised, what with Blizzard doing Blizzconline for their 30th anniversary, but Blizzard's one studio and a very well funded one at that. E3 on the other hand is torn between being a consumer trade show and developer conference, which has served both demographics decreasingly well as time has gone on. I had wondered if last year's E3 would be the last, but this could well be the last one if they don't get developers on board where Gamescom and GDC can.

Virtual events are now common, Soon enough they might do it more often as it's cheaper and also anyone can join from different locations. Then again not the same as going there in person. Anyway what are we going to see this year 😉 anything good.

Even flight sim event is virtual this time around. 

10 hours ago, skyfire said:

That would make it second year of such virtual events. Last year they did some virtual events too if I am not wrong. 

They cancelled the one in 2020, but this will be E3s first attempt at a virtual event. 

6 hours ago, Empire said:

Virtual events are now common, Soon enough they might do it more often as it's cheaper and also anyone can join from different locations. Then again not the same as going there in person. Anyway what are we going to see this year 😉 anything good.

Even flight sim event is virtual this time around. 

I really think this is our future. I think it's going to be too big of a risk even with the vaccine out, so I think people will just move on to virtual for the time being. 

16 hours ago, Kane99 said:

They cancelled the one in 2020, but this will be E3s first attempt at a virtual event. 

Yeah but many other game dev studios and others have continued with new virtual events. I think they saved money last year and this year may not be grand either. 

16 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I really think this is our future. I think it's going to be too big of a risk even with the vaccine out, so I think people will just move on to virtual for the time being. 

It is, I think they looking at how cheaper it is LOL and how many more people can able to join 😛