Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games that do third person right?

I detest third person because it doesn't feel lifelike and real to me, it breaks my immersion, it is dizzying, and I can't examine small details in the environment. But I can let TLOU off the hook for it because it handles the angles well in combat and it almost feels like first person when it matters most. What are some other games that handle third person well?

RDR2

First person is visually impossible at the best of times, regardless of the game, but it’s even worse in RDR2. You can see absolutely nothing. Only the terrain. Not Arthur, not your horse, nothing. You will spend the entire day stuck because you’re walking into a tree because you couldn’t see it in first person. Switch to third person and you will find out that you somehow ended up in a thick forest and didn’t know it. The only use for the first person view in RDR2 is if you have a death wish.

3 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I detest third person because it doesn't feel lifelike and real to me, it breaks my immersion, it is dizzying, and I can't examine small details in the environment. But I can let TLOU off the hook for it because it handles the angles well in combat and it almost feels like first person when it matters most. What are some other games that handle third person well?

I get dizzy in 1st person. Horror games are the exception. As long as the camera doesn't move so fast either 3rd person or 1st person then I'm good. I think scenic outdoor games do 3rd person better and slower horror indoor is better for 1st person. I have played RDR2 in 1st person mode and I actually liked it, especially riding a horse around. Other than that, I'd say no to 1st person in the outdoors. Plus I love seeing my character equipped with awesome gear. 

I do have to say, now that I remember, Dying Light was an amazing 1st person outdoor survival horror. They did a great job with it. And it was very immersive that way. So I lied. Forget everything I said. Just depends on the game. 

2 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I get dizzy in 1st person. Horror games are the exception. As long as the camera doesn't move so fast either 3rd person or 1st person then I'm good. I think scenic outdoor games do 3rd person better and slower horror indoor is better for 1st person. I have played RDR2 in 1st person mode and I actually liked it, especially riding a horse around. Other than that, I'd say no to 1st person in the outdoors. Plus I love seeing my character equipped with awesome gear. 

I do have to say, now that I remember, Dying Light was an amazing 1st person outdoor survival horror. They did a great job with it. And it was very immersive that way. So I lied. Forget everything I said. Just depends on the game. 

Funny you get dizzy in 1st person and I do in 3rd. And I did not know RDR2 has 1st person mode! I am excited!

2 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

Funny you get dizzy in 1st person and I do in 3rd. And I did not know RDR2 has 1st person mode! I am excited!

Yes, it has several modes so your character can be different sizes or 1st person, and even a cinematic mode while you ride and view everything from different angles from above. 

7 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Yes, it has several modes so your character can be different sizes or 1st person, and even a cinematic mode while you ride and view everything from different angles from above. 

So many times I thought how RDR was almost perfect except for being in third person. I am so happy!

4 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

I'm near-sighted, so that is interesting, actually! What's your thinking on how it would relate?

Wow, that might actually be something! Even though the tv is the same distance, we perceive what we are used to seeing anyways. And I like to view things from far, even when I read. I still have good vision reading up close, but I would get a headache. So for me that would make sense that in 1st person mode is better if I didn't have to move so much. All the rules are broken in Dying Light though. Not sure what it is they did to make it work for me. Speed of camera maybe? Speed of character? Distance of objects? Some setting they did with camera optics made it work. Contrast? Color? Motion blur on or off? I don't know. And you being near sighted, there has to be some sort of camera setting in 1st person mode that is easier on your eyes. Wonder what that is. Or it could simply be our perception of things. What we are used to and comfortable with. But you also enjoy scenery in games, so you enjoy to see the view of things too right? So it must come down to speed of the camera or something. Is an interesting topic. 

1 hour ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Wow, that might actually be something! Even though the tv is the same distance, we perceive what we are used to seeing anyways. And I like to view things from far, even when I read. I still have good vision reading up close, but I would get a headache. So for me that would make sense that in 1st person mode is better if I didn't have to move so much. All the rules are broken in Dying Light though. Not sure what it is they did to make it work for me. Speed of camera maybe? Speed of character? Distance of objects? Some setting they did with camera optics made it work. Contrast? Color? Motion blur on or off? I don't know. And you being near sighted, there has to be some sort of camera setting in 1st person mode that is easier on your eyes. Wonder what that is. Or it could simply be our perception of things. What we are used to and comfortable with. But you also enjoy scenery in games, so you enjoy to see the view of things too right? So it must come down to speed of the camera or something. Is an interesting topic. 

Yeah, now I think I need to make a poll to see if we can find a correlation here or something! And yes, I love scenery in games. But if I'm in third person, I hate that I can't like ... walk up to a wall and look closely and directly at a picture on it, etc. In first person, I can get close to it to see the details.

I'm okay with third person in TLOU because during combat, the camera moves fairly close to the character's body, and you are looking almost directly at the target in a natural way.

Speed of the camera does seem relevant. If it is fast in third person, I get extra dizzy.

Ghost Recon Wildlands and Breakpoint. is third person but switches to first person view when you aim down the sights.

I also prefer TPS games where the camera is not locked to where your character is going, as in you can look in a different direction than where you are going, to scan the environment and it feels more realistic. In real life you aren't fixated ahead of you either you can look around freely while walking forward.

I would say GTA seriers and RDR 🙂 I mean Rockstar always had that option from the start and they made it good to able to play with no problems, In fact, it's far better than the first person in GTA. Yes, the first person you can able to walk backwards.

9 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Yeah, now I think I need to make a poll to see if we can find a correlation here or something! And yes, I love scenery in games. But if I'm in third person, I hate that I can't like ... walk up to a wall and look closely and directly at a picture on it, etc. In first person, I can get close to it to see the details.

I'm okay with third person in TLOU because during combat, the camera moves fairly close to the character's body, and you are looking almost directly at the target in a natural way.

Speed of the camera does seem relevant. If it is fast in third person, I get extra dizzy.

I'm extremely near sighted. Anything more than 2' away is a complete blur if I don't have my glasses on.

One of the major problems in RDR2 first person, is the movement. Making Arthur turn, can be a challenge because he wants to walk sideways a lot instead. Think original Doom movement. Yes, you can get a front row view of something so close you're scraping your nose, but at the same time, you're not seeing the area around you. Riding is extremely difficult in first person. Forget hunting and fighting.

Another thing that makes third person a preferable choice is the rate at which it switches automatically in cut scenes. It leaves first person to show everyone involved. Most of the time it will return you to your chosen view afterwards, but on a rare occasion it will put in the other. I've come out of a cut scene confused because I couldn't see anything, only to realize the game put me in first person mode. Your view of the surrounding area is wider in third person, at least with this game, whereas in first person, all you can see is what's directly in front of you.

I won't lie, there have been a couple rare instances where I have switched to first person intentionally. That was so I could get a closer look into a tent in a camp I was looting. After I was satisfied with that, I instantly switched back to third person.

First person also defeats some of the features of the game, such as outfits. You can buy different outfits for Arthur, and groom his hair and beard to your liking, but if you play in first person you'll never see it, so there's no point in that. And if you lose your hat, how are you going to know it? You have no real way to know except to open third person. You can get on your horse and check to see if it has a check mark by it in your item wheel. If it doesn't you can select to put it back on, but in reality, how often are you actually going to be checking that? The same goes for your horse. You can customize his/her mane and tail, but you'll never see them in first person. And you have to keep your horse clean to keep it healthy. You don't really have time to constantly look down while you're riding to make sure it's not completely filthy.

Dutch rides a solid white horse, the same as me. So I colored my horses tail black as an means of telling them apart.

There is other customization you can do, but that's just guns. The only ones I carry in the beginning are the Springfield rifle and varmint rifle. That's just to get the hides needed to get the Legend Of The East satchel. After I get it, the varmint rifle is stowed away in my weapon locker. You can choose the metals, the wood of the stocks, carvings and engravings, and it goes over every last part of the gun. You can have a solid gold gun if you want. If I remember correctly there are around 16 or so woods and 8 metals. And you can mix and match all you want. I have a pearl gripped pistol.

And if, like me, you have a hard time playing a game the employs a dual joystick, the third person can help you learn. I was never able to do it prior to RDR2. It was one of the reasons I didn't like Skyrim initially. But I've learned pretty well to utilize them both, and I have no severe issues left, only minor ones.

Basically what I'm saying is that for this game specifically, third person is the best choice. It's nothing like the first and third choices in Skyrim. It's a hell of a lot different. In Skyrim, you can always see your hands in front of you. That's not here in RDR2. Not any time I have played it anyway.

In the video below, he was in Bloger Blade when he made camp and looked at his legendary animal map.
At the 15:00 mark, you're able to see one of the bigger issues when riding in first person. That was in St. Denis.

It was difficult to find a video that gave no spoilers, and all of the ones I found, that featured third person views included spoilers.