Register Now
Kane99

Games like Dark Souls, but not as hard

I like Dark Souls, but I am too trash to complete it. But, I like the gameplay, the story, the style, etc, and would love to play another game like it, but one that's a bit more forgiving on the difficulty. I am one who likes to move fast, and I like to complete a game to see the story. But with Dark Souls, I am not good enough. I just want a game where I feel like an utter badass, and don't have to fight a boss hundreds of times to beat him. 

Any games like that? 

Lords of the Fallen is a game I'd recommend for that, with a quick read of my write-up on how I trivialised the game with a certain build. You won't be able to play it fast, but you'll live to the end and then some. Plus its story is clearer and detailed than that of Dark Souls, even if there is a lot to like about the Souls worldbuilding.

I'd recommend sticking at DS though, and don't be ashamed to look up beginner guides or learning how to summon. The second game is great for that. ^^

Edited by Withywarlock

I don't really want a Soul's games that's easier. Some members may remember I can't stand these games not because of the difficulty, but because of their approach to difficulty. It's all about trial in error a deliberately unbalanced combat scenario where enemy vaurnabilties and attack patterns are cryptic and explotitive of conventional player strategies. That's a cheap and low method to increase a difficulty to me. I'm even tempted to say these games aren't challenging because it's a test of patience rather than skill or strategy and all one really needs to beat them is time, time that, in my opinion, these games don't deserve.

So my advice to anyone who wants a challenge is play something like Hellblade, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us or even Skyrim with the difficulty turned up to max. That way you get a game with a challenge to match any Soul's game, but also a game that doesn't sell itself only on basis of how it hard it is, it actually has other qualities. HZD in particular on Ultra Hard, especially with The Frozen Wilds expansion, is the hardest yet most satisfying game I've ever beaten. 

It doesn't have Souls combat, but Metroid Prime has a really similar way of storytelling, and did it a decade before. The actual story is very bare-bones, but there's a bunch of cool lore stuff you can uncover on your own by exploring, paying attention to surroundings, and "scanning" items, enemies, and computers. Also the environments, atmosphere, and soundtrack are imo better than in DS.

On 2/19/2021 at 10:15 PM, Shagger said:

I don't really want a Soul's games that's easier. Some members may remember I can't stand these games not because of the difficulty, but because of their approach to difficulty. It's all about trial in error a deliberately unbalanced combat scenario where enemy vaurnabilties and attack patterns are cryptic and explotitive of conventional player strategies. That's a cheap and low method to increase a difficulty to me. I'm even tempted to say these games aren't challenging because it's a test of patience rather than skill or strategy and all one really needs to beat them is time, time that, in my opinion, these games don't deserve.

So my advice to anyone who wants a challenge is play something like Hellblade, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us or even Skyrim with the difficulty turned up to max. That way you get a game with a challenge to match any Soul's game, but also a game that doesn't sell itself only on basis of how it hard it is, it actually has other qualities. HZD in particular on Ultra Hard, especially with The Frozen Wilds expansion, is the hardest yet most satisfying game I've ever beaten. 

Exactly! Why would you want an easier Dark Souls? That's one of it's core features - it's designed to be notoriously unforgiven and you have to prepare very well for each battle.