Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Assassin's Creed vs Ghost of Tsushima/Creed vs Honor/Assassin vs Samurai

I am a big fan of Assassin’s Creed and recently started playing Ghost of Tsushima. Even though I just started the game and haven’t fully grasped its message yet, but the beginning of the story talks of samurai honor. And playing both different yet similar games, I am finding it very interesting about the creed the assassins follow in AC and the principles a samurai follows in GOT. There are some clear differences, and yet the honor vs creed I see coinciding.

The creed the assassins follow in AC is to kill those that are corrupt or create peace to protect the people and never hurt the innocent civilians. Also to reach a state of peace within oneself. The insignia in the AC games represents courage and honor. The principles the samurai follows are to fight for those that can’t fight for themselves, always have honor, and have self discipline or control your emotions.

So both have similar principles, but a different way of achieving it. Honor becomes contradictory because the assassin will kill without being seen, while the samurai will fight face to face. But is it so important to risk your mission just to fight face to face? Is not other lives more important than having that sense of honor? Is an assassin honorable to kill for a greater peace? Even a viking warrior in AC Valhalla, who sees honor in fighting face to face, has admitted to assassinate for peace may be acceptable. And the samurai in Ghost of Tsushima at these beginning stages of the game, may seem foolish to go out in open battle just for pride or honor when others depend on your life. 

So I see contradictory in both the assassin and samurai. What are your thoughts on this? Do you prefer the way of an assassin or a samurai? What are your thoughts on the contradictions between these two warrior types and the principles they follow? 

Ghost of Tsushima looks nothing like any entry of Assassin’s Creed. Just because it’s a historical video game doesn’t automatically make it Assassin’s Creed. Most noticeably, there’s nothing close to resembling AC parkour in GoT. GoT looks great, as a standalone it looks like a fantastic game, but I don’t see any revolutionary mechanics that Assassin’s Creed hasn’t already brought to the table.

I say what game/verion do you like and play the most? 

2 hours ago, Empire said:

Ghost of Tsushima looks nothing like any entry of Assassin’s Creed. Just because it’s a historical video game doesn’t automatically make it Assassin’s Creed. Most noticeably, there’s nothing close to resembling AC parkour in GoT. GoT looks great, as a standalone it looks like a fantastic game, but I don’t see any revolutionary mechanics that Assassin’s Creed hasn’t already brought to the table.

I say what game/verion do you like and play the most? 

I like both these two types of games; I've played AC the most and only just started GoT the other night. I don't mean to throw GoT in the same soup bowl as AC, but am merely trying to compare the principles of the assassin in AC and that of a samurai in GoT. I am discovering there is actually a lot behind the creed to AC games. They aren't just a hired assassin. Much much more to it than that. What they stand for and what the samurai stand for can be seen as being the same, yet different in how they want to achieve their goal: to fight and protect. As I alternately play these games, it is interesting to have my mindset change; the way of the assassin or the way of the warrior. Are they going to overlap in philosophy?

1 hour ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

What do you think about this comment?

"Only cowards strike from the shadows"

I personally disagree with that statement completely.

There was and still is merit to stealth and ambush tactics.  Hell, it's what most elite military and special forces units like the US Navy SEALS and British SAS are trained to do.

In feudal Japan the "Ninja's" who represented the lower class knew that they couldn't best the better equipped and decadent royal Samurai in a fair fight...  So they didn't fight fair.  That's how the whole ideas of the Ninja's stealth tactics came about.

In World War 2 there was a particular squadron of all female bomber pilots in the Soviet Union.  They had slow, outdated biplanes there were far below the stall speeds of the German fighter planes at the time.  So their strategy was to fly at night, cut off the engines and glide and slowly and quietly, drop their bombs and then take off (video's posted below).  Similar techniques are used by stealth bomber pilots today.

Would I describe any of these individuals or cultures as being "cowardly"?  Absolutely not.  If anything "Striking from the Shadows" is a bigger risk, both in gaming (mostly) and in real life because it's higher skill, lower cost, bigger reward.  I applaud and respect people who use this tactic and I strive to do it in games whenever I'm given the opportunity.  It's more satisfying to me than charging in like Galahad.

Additional:

If you are someone who thinks that stealth tactics are cowardly. I double dare you to bet $10 to say that these women in the videos I posted above were cowardly while maintaining a streight face.

Spoiler:  Your about to lose $10. 

💙like 💙like 💙like

That's 3 more likes

That's cool about the night witches! Having to fly in those dinky planes and turn the engine off; damn!!! And I haven't even thought about the ninjas and their role during feudal Japan. It's interesting that most actually came from the lower class. So status wasn't important to them. They did their job as an assassin, saboteur, spy, and kept what they did secret. They never wanted credit or anything like that. And if caught, they would take their own life. It was funny at the beginning of Ghost of Tsushima (no spoilers) the samurai despised thieves and people that would hide around or stalk the night. If you play the game you will see how that relates to this. 

I agree that there are so many battle tactics that need stealth over face to face combat. One that comes to mind was the powerful British against American revolutionaries who would ambush the British as they stood out in the open in formation. That would have been terrifying standing there taking shots and watching your comrads fall before your eyes. And not be able to do anything but load your damn weapon. 

Even though the samurai honor seems so justified, so too is stealth which may be even more justified. But even that at times has its controversy because what is used for good, also is used for bad. 

On 2/27/2021 at 2:41 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I am a big fan of Assassin’s Creed and recently started playing Ghost of Tsushima. Even though I just started the game and haven’t fully grasped its message yet, but the beginning of the story talks of samurai honor. And playing both different yet similar games, I am finding it very interesting about the creed the assassins follow in AC and the principles a samurai follows in GOT. There are some clear differences, and yet the honor vs creed I see coinciding.

The creed the assassins follow in AC is to kill those that are corrupt or create peace to protect the people and never hurt the innocent civilians. Also to reach a state of peace within oneself. The insignia in the AC games represents courage and honor. The principles the samurai follows are to fight for those that can’t fight for themselves, always have honor, and have self discipline or control your emotions.

So both have similar principles, but a different way of achieving it. Honor becomes contradictory because the assassin will kill without being seen, while the samurai will fight face to face. But is it so important to risk your mission just to fight face to face? Is not other lives more important than having that sense of honor? Is an assassin honorable to kill for a greater peace? Even a viking warrior in AC Valhalla, who sees honor in fighting face to face, has admitted to assassinate for peace may be acceptable. And the samurai in Ghost of Tsushima at these beginning stages of the game, may seem foolish to go out in open battle just for pride or honor when others depend on your life. 

So I see contradictory in both the assassin and samurai. What are your thoughts on this? Do you prefer the way of an assassin or a samurai? What are your thoughts on the contradictions between these two warrior types and the principles they follow? 

As much as I love and enjoyed playing Assassin’s Creed, I have actually fallen so deep in love with Ghost of Tsushima as the game thrills me on a whole different level. 

21 hours ago, Heatman said:

As much as I love and enjoyed playing Assassin’s Creed, I have actually fallen so deep in love with Ghost of Tsushima as the game thrills me on a whole different level. 

Yes, for sure with me too. Have you tried the Legends DLC? It's free and you can play it single player. I'm still playing the main game and play a mission in the DLC here and there as an extra treat. The protagonist is an admirable character. I like how the DLC as you level up, you can specialize how you want your fighting style; assassin, samurai, hunter, ronin with a different looking protagonist for each. So I'm usually stuck between samurai and assassin. Sometimes I like to stand out in the open as a samurai and put my fighting skills to the test. Other times, I like the challenge of stealth. Or both interchangeably. 

What is your honor system or creed? Face the enemy, or assassinate? Or does it matter, just kill the bastard. 

5 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Yes, for sure with me too. Have you tried the Legends DLC? It's free and you can play it single player. I'm still playing the main game and play a mission in the DLC here and there as an extra treat. The protagonist is an admirable character. I like how the DLC as you level up, you can specialize how you want your fighting style; assassin, samurai, hunter, ronin with a different looking protagonist for each. So I'm usually stuck between samurai and assassin. Sometimes I like to stand out in the open as a samurai and put my fighting skills to the test. Other times, I like the challenge of stealth. Or both interchangeably. 

What is your honor system or creed? Face the enemy, or assassinate? Or does it matter, just kill the bastard. 

Assassination is my thing, even though it's considered not to be an honorable act by a Samurai, I think my personality have a thing for stealth killings. 

On 3/1/2021 at 10:03 AM, Crazycrab said:

Additional:

If you are someone who thinks that stealth tactics are cowardly. I double dare you to bet $10 to say that these women in the videos I posted above were cowardly while maintaining a streight face.

Spoiler:  Your about to lose $10. 

Stealth tactics are never cowardly not by a long shot as far as I'm concerned because it takes good expertise to perfect the act. 

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Is there ever a time when an assassin has so much hate, that they put aside everything for a face to face combat? Honor reborn. Extreme hate, honor bound. Watch the light leave their eyes. Honor after stealth. 

Stealth after honor. Keep mindful of others. Let go of honor to reach the unreachable. 

Assassin's don't operate with honor and they very well don't fancy coming at you face to face unless they are left with no option but to do so in the open.