Register Now
StaceyPowers

Video game characters with unique outlooks?

This is a tough one but I do remember a game that really had a unique story with a philosophical question of how far you'd go to complete your "mission". The game in particular I'm talking about is Spec Ops: the line for the PS3. You play as Walker, a soldier in charge of a team sent to Dubai to complete a mission. However, as the story starts to unravel, you realize something is quite off and when it gets to the end and you realized that the person you were blaming for this situation was already dead and you were the one that really killed thousands of innocent lives. The game gives you the option to kill yourself once you know the truth, live on and continue the lie or live on accepting the truth of what you've done. The scene where he accidentally kills a bunch of refugees he was sent to save with phosphorous was the first time I ever somewhat felt any kind of remorse for an action in a game.

38 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

This is a tough one but I do remember a game that really had a unique story with a philosophical question of how far you'd go to complete your "mission". The game in particular I'm talking about is Spec Ops: the line for the PS3. You play as Walker, a soldier in charge of a team sent to Dubai to complete a mission. However, as the story starts to unravel, you realize something is quite off and when it gets to the end and you realized that the person you were blaming for this situation was already dead and you were the one that really killed thousands of innocent lives. The game gives you the option to kill yourself once you know the truth, live on and continue the lie or live on accepting the truth of what you've done. The scene where he accidentally kills a bunch of refugees he was sent to save with phosphorous was the first time I ever somewhat felt any kind of remorse for an action in a game.

I am a big fan of this game, and it made me question my assumptions about how I think.

2 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

I am a big fan of this game, and it made me question my assumptions about how I think.

Yeah, it really highlighted the fact that you have to know when to draw the line in certain situations or you risk ruining your life by continuing on a path.

2 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Yeah, it really highlighted the fact that you have to know when to draw the line in certain situations or you risk ruining your life by continuing on a path.

And also that sometimes what is driving you might be buried in your unconscious, and until you root it out, your ability to make choices is compromised.

On 3/23/2021 at 4:20 PM, StaceyPowers said:

And also that sometimes what is driving you might be buried in your unconscious, and until you root it out, your ability to make choices is compromised.

So true. Reflection and self-awareness are some of the key components to making healthy decisions. The one saying that always came back to me when Walker said " I didn't mean to hurt anyone." was the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I think devil may cry definitely has the potential for the unique outlook. And thing is that character development is the best part of the game. A lot of unique plots and the gameplay progress is good in fantasy and FPS genre. 

On 3/30/2021 at 11:46 AM, skyfire said:

I think devil may cry definitely has the potential for the unique outlook. And thing is that character development is the best part of the game. A lot of unique plots and the gameplay progress is good in fantasy and FPS genre. 

Both Dante and Vergil underwent significant character development throughout the series. Dante learned more about his demon bloodline and learned to accept it while Vergil eventually learned to accept the vulnerability of his human side.

On 3/23/2021 at 9:33 PM, killamch89 said:

Seriously, the game was really a shocker for me with how it triggered my emotional side after the white phosphorus killing of innocent civilians.