Register Now
StaceyPowers

Preferred format for on-screen conversations without options?

Sometimes I see people complain about long cutscenes with dialogue. Other times I see people complain about walking-and-talking. I suppose some people would prefer to skip dialogue altogether, especially in a second playthrough. But anyway, which do you prefer, and why? Honestly, I don’t mind either at all. The only thing that peeves me is if, during either, stuff is going on in the background that is noisy (i.e. combat) and then I miss what is being said in the foreground.

I got no strong preference.  The only thing the pisses me off is when, like you mentioned, your trying to talk to an NPC or listen to a audio log.  Then it can be very irritating when you've combat sounds, other NPC's or other players (when online) kocking in your ears.

I very rarely skip cutscenes/dialogues in games, even on multiple playthroughs. If a game is not good enough to watch the cutscenes in it, then it's not good enough to play period. I'm even annoyed when the game puts messages on the screen like "press x to skip" for no reason. It ruins the immersion.

That said the option to skip cutscenes must be included, because it is equally annoying to watch the same cutscene multiple times when you died in a game.

It is a completely unrelated issue with sound design when you can't hear a conversation or audio log for some reason. Or a conversation getting interrupted. Mass effect had this issue I Think where if a character stood behind yours then you could not hear what they were saying.

On 4/27/2021 at 9:38 PM, killamch89 said:

Honestly, it doesn't bother me that much except when you're in a cutscene and you're being attacked by NPCs while that cutscene is going, it tends to kill the immersion for me.

Seriously, I don't really see anything wrong with it and why it should bother anyone with the cutscenes. It's something that's important as far as I'm concerned.