Register Now
killamch89

Are You A Cat Person Or A Dog Person?

In today's episode of being controversial, I shall ask one of the most controversial question to ever exist - which is your favorite - cats or dogs? Throughout my lifetime, I've grown up with dogs for most of it so I do have slight bias towards dogs. However, cats are also awesome animals and express themselves in their own way. Dogs are by far more expressive in terms of how they feel about you. You immediately can tell just by how they react to you - the wagging tails, the "smile on their face" etc. Cats are a bit more reserved in this department and cats have the tendency of choosing their owners lol. For instance, I have a stray cat that uses my yard as a pregnancy ward - she even knocks on my window for food. Overall, I'd say both for me because their pretty awesome in their own way. What are your thoughts about this?

Cat person.

I think dogs are unpredictable, and dumb. Yes you can teach them stuff through pavlovian conditioning, but that does not mean they are intelligent. Cats have much more varied personalities, and you never have to worry about cat attacks. I don't trust dogs.

Yes I've had both, and loved both. I didn't have a pet for the past 5 years.

Edited by m76

1 hour ago, m76 said:

Cat person.

I think dogs are unpredictable, and dumb. Yes you can teach them stuff through pavlovian conditioning, but that does not mean they are intelligent. Cats have much more varied personalities, and you never have to worry about cat attacks. I don't trust dogs.

Have you actually spent any time with cats? They attack more than dogs do. The only difference is that most dogs are bigger and stronger than cats. Cats attack people constantly. Especially feral cats. They're mean as hell. You should be spending more of your time worrying about cat attacks than dog attacks. Dogs only attack if they're abused or feel threatened. Cats attack for no reason.

I have seen a few dumb dogs, but they are much more intelligent than cats. They are also more obedient. Dogs have an inner desire to love their people. As long as you treat them with love and respect, you have nothing to worry about.

Also Pavlov was abusing the dogs he worked with. If you follow his example, you need to have all of your pets taken away from you (especially all your dogs) and need to be banned from ever having another pet of any species again.

I'd say I'm more of a dog person. You can call paranoid and you'd be right, but whenever cats are around I always get the impression that they know something we don't...

clint-eastwood-cowboys.gif

Edited by Crazycrab

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

I'd say I'm more of a dog person. You can call paranoid and you'd be right, but whenever cats are around I always get the impression that they know something we don't...

The reason you think that is because they have meetings to plan our deaths.

On 5/17/2021 at 12:06 PM, Crazycrab said:

Lol. Cats are pretty smart critters and they're overly cautious when it comes to approaching unknown situations. Dogs on the other hand are far more curious and will tend to go check out stuff without much thought.

On 5/17/2021 at 1:55 PM, The Blackangel said:

The reason you think that is because they have meetings to plan our deaths.

You notice how cats are always sneaking up on you. They always do this thing where you turn your back where they pounce on like Lions and Tigers would. That's how you know they're schemers. On top of that, they're great at manipulating humans. I swear to you that cats can use the Jedi mind trick on almost anyone and it works.

On 5/17/2021 at 7:25 AM, m76 said:

Cat person.

Cats are the unpredictable ones - even when you've raised a cat from day one, it doesn't mean it'll acknowledge you as it's owner may tend to attack their owners. Dogs are anything but dumb - my dog knows how to open my house door, knows how to honk my car horn and a myriad of other stuff that I never once taught it. As a matter of fact, I never trained any of mine but they understand almost anything I say.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Cats are the unpredictable ones - even when you've raised a cat from day one, it doesn't mean it'll acknowledge you as it's owner may tend to attack their owners.

Au contraire, there are countless accounts of dogs attacking family members and even killing them despite having been with the family since they were pups. Cats on the other hand if they are familiar with you they will never attack unless you threaten them. And even then it's more like jab and run away, instead of becoming the aggressor. And it's not likely for a cat to fatally injure even a child let alone an adult.

I've had dozens of cats over the years, none were hostile. Not even the foundling ones we took in as adults were actively aggressive.  It seems to me that cats that are kept locked indoors all the time and not let out are the unpredictable ones, because they have no way to fulfil their hunter instincts.  But then you are their jailor, not owner.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Dogs are anything but dumb - my dog knows how to open my house door, knows how to honk my car horn and a myriad of other stuff that I never once taught it. As a matter of fact, I never trained any of mine but they understand almost anything I say.

Pavlovian conditioning works even without you actively participating in it.  Most of my cats could open doors via different methods, it's not because they understand how doors work, it's because they accidentally managed to open it a few times, and that's the positive reinforcement. Hence why different ones used different methods to open things.

"Understand anything I say" is just confirmation bias, the most pets can understand is the tone of voice, not the words.

How do you explain obedience training then. You throw a stick but tell the dog to stay. Wait, and then tell them to get it. You call one dogs name and they respond, whereas 4 others do not. You can give dogs commands and they know what you are saying, regardless of tone. We crate trained our dogs, and they all knew which crate was theirs. We no longer do that, but they still have them as a little "house" for themselves, as dogs like that.

Dogs are reliable and loving. Cats are deceitful and flat out mean.