Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Republicans Declaring War On Corporate America/ Coca Cola Over Democracy Ideals

And the crazy extremists keep getting more and more extreme. Ever since republicans started pushing voting restriction bills, they have been bumping heads with corporate America. One bill passed in Georgia to make it harder to vote, created backlash with Major League Baseball as they pulled the All Star game from Georgia due to the bill. Coca Cola expressed their view the bill was wrong. Republican politicians in return have threatened to not give them tax breaks or help them financially in any way if they regain power. That is blatant blackmail or something with specific corporations. I don't know what to call it. Conflicts of interest? Using the government to bribe and blackmail corporations? 

I understand corporate America shouldn't get involved with politics. But when democracy is on the line and they speak up, then if you don't like it you can boycott as a consumer. But republicans have now gone into a poltical war using the government to fight their battles. In N. carolina, republicans have now used the government and their voting process to pass into law to ban Coca Cola machines in all government buildings in N. Carolina due to what they said about Georgia voting restriction bills. First of all, the voting bill was passed in Georgia, and yet N. Carolina is banning Coca Cola. And we know when one republicans state does it....the sheep follow in line. 

The headquarters of Coca Cola is Atlanta Georgia, and that is why the corporation spoke up. But to pass legislation in another state banning their product is pretty absurd. I don't know what to say anymore. 

Correction-it is a county in N. Carolina that used its government to pass legislation banning Coca Cola not the whole state...yet. And of course every republican in every state will follow. Legal? I don't know. They should be sued and this is a good case that could change this ridiculous new law. I mean WTF world is this now? 

If you think voter ID only affects minorities then you are the one who is deeply bigoted.

It is not anti-democracy as the actually extremist far left portrays it. We in Europe couldn't even imagine democracy without first checking that the person voting is actually registered citizen of the voting district and can identify themselves by proving they are who they say they are.

1 hour ago, m76 said:

If you think voter ID only affects minorities then you are the one who is deeply bigoted.

It is not anti-democracy as the actually extremist far left portrays it. We in Europe couldn't even imagine democracy without first checking that the person voting is actually registered citizen of the voting district and can identify themselves by proving they are who they say they are.

It's not as hard as that, at least not in the UK.  Your registered from birth, all you have to do after that is provide your current address and even if the address they have on record is incorrect you can still vote.  I know because I've been in that exact situation.  From what I understand the registration system in America is already way more rigorous and complicated.

5 hours ago, m76 said:

Voter ID? Is that all you think it's about? I'm all for voter ID. Their voting restrictions isn't about ID. They are getting rid of ballot sites to just one only in major populated counties. Democrats and people of color are more populated in larger counties. Then they are decreasing early voting days. They are decreasing the number of hours to vote on the weekends. Blacks have Sunday voting where they go vote after church in the morning. Republicans are making it so that on Sunday polls are closed till the afternoon. The whole point republicans are trying to do is cause mass crowding in a limited time in more populated areas to deter people from voting. They made it illegal to provide water for those in line. They are allowing voter intimidation at the polling places and encouraging it by allowing watchers carry guns. In Harris County in Houston, the 4th largest city in the USA with a few million people, in 2020 the republican governor closed all ballot sites from around 10 to just one, and he just made sure to keep it that way. So now people have to drive who knows where and wait who knows how long just for their right to vote. There are also a lot of people with transportation problems or don't have the access to drive across the county to vote. This is directly targeting minorities and democrats in populated areas and we all know it. And they are dropping people from the mail in ballot list, making it harder to even get the ballot to vote. Then they are passing laws to be able to have a biased recount of ballots like they are doing in Arizona who even republicans are calling it sloppy, embarrassing, and outright disgracing democracy for only the reason to weaken the democratic system and make people not trust it. 

7 hours ago, m76 said:

How would you even know? You don't live here. You aren't experiencing the attacks republiKKKlans are making against Democrats and minorities. There are Hispanic families that have yet to be reunited because Adolf spread them so far and wide that they don't even know where their family went. The LGBTQ+ community is still facing laws that promote discrimination. In many states if two names even remotely sound the same sex, bakeries can tell clients to piss off for their wedding cake.

The republiKKKlan party is trying to force a seizure of power to take over the country and put us all under a dictatorship. We'll be no better than North Korea if they get their way. Anyone who isn't a white, cis, straight, xtian, republiKKKlian will be imprisoned by them for some made up bullshit. They are wiping their ass with the constitution, and pissing on the bill of rights.

They're out to destroy this country. Why else have people been emigrating to Canada, UK, Mexico, and other countries in droves? Because they're power hungry tyrannical traitors. That became a proven fact by the terrorist attack on January 6th.

On 6/5/2021 at 4:57 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Voter ID? Is that all you think it's about? I'm all for voter ID. Their voting restrictions isn't about ID. They are getting rid of ballot sites to just one only in major populated counties. Democrats and people of color are more populated in larger counties. Then they are decreasing early voting days. They are decreasing the number of hours to vote on the weekends. Blacks have Sunday voting where they go vote after church in the morning. Republicans are making it so that on Sunday polls are closed till the afternoon. The whole point republicans are trying to do is cause mass crowding in a limited time in more populated areas to deter people from voting. They made it illegal to provide water for those in line. They are allowing voter intimidation at the polling places and encouraging it by allowing watchers carry guns. In Harris County in Houston, the 4th largest city in the USA with a few million people, in 2020 the republican governor closed all ballot sites from around 10 to just one, and he just made sure to keep it that way. So now people have to drive who knows where and wait who knows how long just for their right to vote. There are also a lot of people with transportation problems or don't have the access to drive across the county to vote. This is directly targeting minorities and democrats in populated areas and we all know it. And they are dropping people from the mail in ballot list, making it harder to even get the ballot to vote. Then they are passing laws to be able to have a biased recount of ballots like they are doing in Arizona who even republicans are calling it sloppy, embarrassing, and outright disgracing democracy for only the reason to weaken the democratic system and make people not trust it. 

None of those things affect only minorities. Unless you automatically assume that they are somehow less capable to adopt to changes.  For example Harris County is 70% white, so how does reducing ballot sites affect only the 30%?

Probably the only meaningful thing to come from George W Bush, the soft bigotry of low expectations, which is what democrats are engaged in.

@m76 What is it with you and this ridiculous theory that it's bigotry to stand up against bigotry? Standing up for a minorities rights does not imply they are less capable. What it means the system is unfair as it's systemically bigoted and doesn't offer everyone equal rights because race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation and so on. This idea you have is a way to try and turn the tables and make out that the people call-out out this bullshit into the bigots and that is ludicrous.

Edited by Shagger

On 6/5/2021 at 6:52 PM, The Blackangel said:

How would you even know? You don't live here. You aren't experiencing the attacks republiKKKlans are making against Democrats and minorities.

Are you experiencing attacks? I've not heard anything of the sort,  I'm sure mainstream media would be all over that if there were open attacks going on. Do you have any reported cases?

There are Hispanic families that have yet to be reunited because Adolf spread them so far and wide that they don't even know where their family went. The LGBTQ+ community is still facing laws that promote discrimination. In many states if two names even remotely sound the same sex, bakeries can tell clients to piss off for their wedding cake.

I have zero respect / love for Trump, but calling him Adolf only makes you sound ridiculous. He personally spread families out? How? Not that this is in any way shape or form relevant to voting. I assume illegal immigrants aren't voting, are they?

I think businesses who refuse to serve people based on their beliefs should be fined into oblivion, but again I don't know how this is relevant to the topic of voting?

The republiKKKlan party is trying to force a seizure of power to take over the country and put us all under a dictatorship. We'll be no better than North Korea if they get their way. Anyone who isn't a white, cis, straight, xtian, republiKKKlian will be imprisoned by them for some made up bullshit. They are wiping their ass with the constitution, and pissing on the bill of rights.

Now that's just completely delusional talk. Have you lived in North Korea? Then "How would you even know?" A communist dictature is no joking matter. Frivolousness does not help your case.  You can disagree with certain policies of republicans (which I happen to disagree with them on most issues) without these outlandish comparisons. This is the exact reason why democrats drive moderate leftists away.

They're out to destroy this country. Why else have people been emigrating to Canada, UK, Mexico, and other countries in droves? Because they're power hungry tyrannical traitors. That became a proven fact by the terrorist attack on January 6th.

People have been leaving in droves because of things like defund the police and riots looting and indiscriminate destruction of property. I say indiscriminate because many black and other minority owned businesses were destroyed in those. Not that I condone destroying white owned businesses either.

9 hours ago, Shagger said:

@m76 What is it with you and this ridiculous theory that it's bigotry to stand up against bigoty? Standing up for a minorities rights does not imply they are less capable. What it means the system is unfair as it's systemically bigoted and doesn't offer everyone equal rights because race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation and so on. This idea you have is a way to try and turn the tables and make out the people who call-out out this bullshit into the bigots and that is ludicrous.

Where are these laws that discriminate based on race? You assume laws are racist because you assume minorities are less equipped to cope with them. That is the soft bigotry of low expectations.

Gay marriage rights are an entirely other issue. You are the second one to bring that up, how is that relevant?

Edited by Shagger

58 minutes ago, m76 said:

Where are these laws that discriminate based on race? You assume laws are racist because you assume minorities are less equipped to cope with them. That is the soft bigotry of low expectations.

Gay marriage rights are an entirely other issue. You are the second one to bring that up, how is that relevant?

Did you even read what I said? When people stand up against bigotry they are not implying that minorities are less capable, that is ridiculous. What your saying is that l and others here speaking out against racism are, in fact, the actual racists. I'd tread carefully if I were you with such false accusations.

It's not about laws either, it's about how systems of society has embedded these attitudes. It is very easy to act within the law and still blatantly discriminate. Still, examples of bigoted laws do exist and people have already posted examples, like the infamous Apartheid regime that ruled South Africa for decades. ICE in America who still keep parents and children desperate and fail to provide basic need and force detainees to live in squalor. Republicans in America are trying to pass laws with the purpose of making more difficult for minorities to vote. And since you brought it, and it was you that brought it up, not me, the rights of same sex marriages as well as adoptions get pissed on all the time. Transgender rights are all but nonexistent, even among "civilised" and "liberal" societies.

I could go on, but because you're living in your bubble where none if this is real because it doesn't happen to you personally, there's no point on trying to enlighten you on this. People can (and have) provided examples and facts numerous times, but you just choose to ignore them when those facts contradict your view. However, I will ask you to not imply that I nor anyone else on these forums are racists again.

Edited by Shagger

1 hour ago, m76 said:

Are you experiencing attacks? I've not heard anything of the sort,  I'm sure mainstream media would be all over that if there were open attacks going on. Do you have any reported cases?

I have zero respect / love for Trump, but calling him Adolf only makes you sound ridiculous. He personally spread families out? How? Not that this is in any way shape or form relevant to voting. I assume illegal immigrants aren't voting, are they?

I think businesses who refuse to serve people based on their beliefs should be fined into oblivion, but again I don't know how this is relevant to the topic of voting?

Now that's just completely delusional talk. Have you lived in North Korea? Then "How would you even know?" A communist dictature is no joking matter. Frivolousness does not help your case.  You can disagree with certain policies of republicans (which I happen to disagree with them on most issues) without these outlandish comparisons. This is the exact reason why democrats drive moderate leftists away.

People have been leaving in droves because of things like defund the police and riots looting and indiscriminate destruction of property. I say indiscriminate because many black and other minority owned businesses were destroyed in those. Not that I condone destroying white owned businesses either.

Yes. I have been a victim of these attacks.

Why? Because he treated his own people the same way? Because he locked them up in cages? Because he separated families with impunity? Because he made it open season on transgender people specifically, and the LGBTQ+ community in general? Because he ran a white supremacist presidency? Because he incited a terrorist attack? Because his cult are attacking Democrats violently (which I have witnessed) simply for being Democrats? You're right. He's not Adolf. He's Adolf's hero.

What do you know. We partially agree on something. What you don't understand is that it's relevant to voting because states are voting on bills being passed that specifically promote bigotry. Like being allowed to deny services to a gay couple, simply because you don't like them being gay while giving them no recourse in the situation.

By your own admission, you have lived in NEITHER child. And you don't know where I have been or what I have seen. So don't even try to tell me that it's "delusional talk" when you know nothing about the situation except what your television allows you to see. North Korean propaganda isn't painting your people as the big bad terrorist while they are the small peaceful country. They only do that to Americans. They don't make up bullshit stories to imprison you and torture you to the brink of death, then release you. They do that to Americans. Adolf did that to immigrants as well.

You obviously haven't been paying attention. The republiKKKlan ARE trying to put us under a dictatorship, run by their god Adolf, making the Democratic party illegal, removing voting rights from minorities, readding LGBTQ+ back on the mental disease list, and making all religions other than xtianity illegal. It has been seen happening all over the country. Prous Boys, Klan, WBC, Christogenea, EURO FOLK RADIO, and Our Place Fellowship just to name a few.

The constitution and bill of rights mean nothing to these "people".

They were leaving before all that on election day. Did you not see the decline of American population, and the surge of Canadian and UK population in 2016? Obviously not, as you prefer to ignore facts if they're not comfortable. You're nothing but another republiKKKlan that thinks the election was stolen.

The Houston area/Harris county is an extremely diverse city that is liberal. Atlanta Georgia has a very large black population where new voting laws will directly affect them too. Black churches have 'souls to the polls' early on Sundays to vote. And republicans have made it so the polls won't open to the afternoon. You have to understand the whole point of these laws is to make the lines longer in bigger cities with less time to vote and harder access to get there. And I'll say it again, urban areas tend to be more liberal and diverse. Not everyone is going to be able to take another day off work to stand in line all day if they weren't able to get in the doors the first time. This tactic was used when blacks in the south first got the right to vote. They even worded their new voting bills  'purify the ballot box'. They said the same exact wording in Jim Crow era of voting when they tried to weed out the blacks. At least they redacted that wording after being confronted by it. Will republicans be affected? Sure, but not nearly as much. Take a rural town of 10,000 or 20,000 or even 50,000 people. How many of them might not get the chance to vote, or be deterred from voting? Now take a few million people with limited access and reduced days and hours. Yeah, there will be republicans with the same problem in these directly affected counties; and to me, it's as if they are used as a sacrifice to deter the larger demographic. But if the people in larger counties endure chaos and lower voter turnout, that will in affect increase the rural voting power of the swing states. It is up to every individual to risk their jobs to take that time off to vote, to get the transportation necessary, go with a friend and bring your own water, go early as possible, make sure you are registered because they are dumping people off the registry, know when to ask for a mail in ballot, fill it out properly, get a witness if required by the new law, know exactly what you need to do ahead of time. 

Edited by Reality vs Adventure