Register Now
Kokushibo

Steam Deck

I'm not sure of the terminology but I was able to get my steam controller to work on my Mint machine just by downloading the steam app and a game.I'm sure I don't have Wine on it so I think the controller is accessing the most basic of inputs. I can get the controller to act like a mouse basically.I can't get access to customize the controller but it works.i might be done with windows when 10 stops support so I'm checking out gaming on Linux.

I'm not in the deck's demo so I won't be getting one but I think the deck will do well and have support for a good long time.Does anyone out there know how hard it is to convert a windows game to the deck OS? I think that will be a factor.

5 hours ago, Syntax said:

I’m sure excited on it. I just can’t wait to see how people review it with games that aren’t so friendly with joysticks such as some MMORPG or even some RTS style games.

Yes I assume in near future there will be steam deck only games and so the native support for it for specific games would be worth looking into.

On 10/13/2021 at 9:46 PM, skyfire said:

Yes I assume in near future there will be steam deck only games and so the native support for it for specific games would be worth looking into.

From a market perspective I dont think that would ever happen. Steam's bread and butter are pc games, their sales dont depend on hardware sales. Steam might release new games like they have done in the past but I dont think there will ever be a steam deck exclusive.

4 hours ago, kingpotato said:

From a market perspective I dont think that would ever happen. Steam's bread and butter are pc games, their sales dont depend on hardware sales. Steam might release new games like they have done in the past but I dont think there will ever be a steam deck exclusive.

That maybe the case but branching out on their own platform is necessary for them  just like how nintendo, android, apple does.

7 hours ago, skyfire said:

That maybe the case but branching out on their own platform is necessary for them  just like how nintendo, android, apple does.

I dont think its necessary though. They dont have the same neccesities as nintendo or mobile. They rely only on selling third party pc games.

On 10/14/2021 at 12:46 AM, skyfire said:

I don't see that happening, since I just don't see it being logical. Steam has a massive library of games, why limited it? I mean, sure they could make exclusives for the Steam Deck, but in reality the steam deck is just meant to play your steam library. I just don't see them doing any exclusives, unless there are games built around that hardware. And even so, I imagine most games released on the steam deck, will drop on steam as they normally would. 

14 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Does somebody know when we will start seeing the Deck's review? As far as I know they will start shipping the consoles some time in february but would assume we will see a full review before that

All I see is February 2022, but no mention of exact release window. I'm guessing more towards the middle to end of February, but we'll see. It could also be a placeholder date, and it might come out later. 

15 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I dont think its necessary though. They dont have the same neccesities as nintendo or mobile. They rely only on selling third party pc games.

Necessity because you control the refunds, games quality and the overall traffic. Which almost every big company wants to do.

12 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I don't see that happening, since I just don't see it being logical. Steam has a massive library of games, why limited it? I mean, sure they could make exclusives for the Steam Deck, but in reality the steam deck is just meant to play your steam library. I just don't see them doing any exclusives, unless there are games built around that hardware. And even so, I imagine most games released on the steam deck, will drop on steam as they normally would. 

If it's just going to connect to steam library then I suppose they already have control over traffic as I explained before. Not saying it has to exclusive.

14 hours ago, skyfire said:

Necessity because you control the refunds, games quality and the overall traffic. Which almost every big company wants to do.

If it's just going to connect to steam library then I suppose they already have control over traffic as I explained before. Not saying it has to exclusive.

Well that doesnt really have to do anything with the neccesity oft branching out on their own platform, they can do that and actually they are doing that already. I mean you did say steam deck only games. 

On 1/19/2022 at 3:44 AM, kingpotato said:

Well that doesnt really have to do anything with the neccesity oft branching out on their own platform, they can do that and actually they are doing that already. I mean you did say steam deck only games. 

Steam only plus controlling the people to platform like Nintendo did. I feel steam is following the same path.

8 hours ago, skyfire said:

Steam only plus controlling the people to platform like Nintendo did. I feel steam is following the same path.

I really doubt it man, steam is for sure not following Nintendo's steps as far as exclusives go. They dont need to actually.

I'm honestly tempted to buy a steam deck. Just the base model because I don't want to spend too much. But, I think I like that it's kinda affordable and if I can play pretty much ever game on steam, I'd say it's worth it. 

5 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I'm honestly tempted to buy a steam deck. Just the base model because I don't want to spend too much. But, I think I like that it's kinda affordable and if I can play pretty much ever game on steam, I'd say it's worth it. 

Same here, I have some money saved up that I wanted to use on a gaming pc or a ps5 but the steam deck seems to be the better option, but I want to wait and watch a review about the game.