Register Now
The Blackangel

Do you ever get overwhelmed here?

Does anyone ever get overwhelmed by the amount of posts here? For example I follow 4 people here. There are other people who I'm not following but tend to use the quote button to respond directly to a comment I made, the same way we all do. When you add all that together, I'll often come here and have 60-70 notifications waiting on me letting me know about being quoted, reactions to my posts, and posts made by the people I follow. On the General Gaming board the other day, new posts were 8 pages deep. I said "fuck it" and just marked the board read. And just now, I came back for the third time today, and the board was 3 pages deep. Is it just me, or does anyone else ever get overwhelmed at times due to the sheer volume of posts?

I won't point fingers but I feel there are some users here that overpost.  It comes down to things like posting the same things on multiple topics, starting topics that are very similar to others that they end up posting on multiple times as well or posting things that don't really have any relevance.

It is a problem because other posts and topics that are more in tune with what the form Is about end up getting buried more quickly.  I don't want to tell people what they can and can't put out on here or in what volume but may a conservative daily limit is worth considering.

When I'm browsing through the forum I generally just select "All activity" and scroll through.  I think it's most efficient way of seeing what's been happening since you don't have to click through multiple sections on the forum.

Edited by Crazycrab

I just turn off the notifications - it does wonders when you want to sleep. I just log in once or twice a day and respond to whoever quotes me and I also make a few posts to give us something to discuss. After all it'd be boring if I made a post and responded to myself - or was it insanity...

I said it in another thread, but nobody has the right to tell people they "post too much". Personally, I prefer to post in a more measured "quality over quantity" kind of way, but there are people who post differently with a more sporadic, but ultimately more engaging manner, and I think a forum is better with a mix of both. There are tools that allow members o follow other member's posts or follow chosen threads that are there to help you keep up with the content you are most interested in.

Why follow people that makes you getting even more notifications, Just edit your notifications settings page and only get notifications that you really want, then you cut them down by half. Can't tell people to not quote you 😛 Also it's always the same group of people that are active posting and keeping the site alive. VGA is all good 😉 I been members on other fourms and I get 50 notifications a day and I do not complain 😜