Register Now
The Blackangel

Thoughts On Prequels

What does everyone think about prequels? For example, I've seen gameplay of RDR1 both online and firsthand while watching my girl play. Then I got into RDR2 after seeing her play that. But my wonder is would it have been better if they had been done in order? Like should RDR2 have been the first entry to the series and RDR1 come out after and pick up where RDR2 left off? Or is it better to have the prequel after the first entry? I just used Red Dead Redemption as an example as that's the one I'm most familiar with, yet this question is posed to all game prequels.

To me personally, it doesn't really matter as long as the games are done well and they're enjoyable for their target audience. Granted, I've never seen anyone specifically complain about prequels. But it would be interesting to me to see a few thoughts on them.

Also as a post script, don't even get me started on The Legend Of Zelda timeline, as I'm sure even Shigeru Miyamoto and Koji Kondo don't know how the hell THAT timeline works.

Edited by The Blackangel

Prequels are nice especially when the character of the first game went through a major event and it made them grow/progress to being the character they are now. In that particular game, there are also several references to it so most fans would want the prequel to understand more about the backstory of the character to completely relate to their choices and decisions.

I hate prequels. I just can't enjoy a story when I already know a fixed point in the future where all the characters will end up. Everything you do in a prequel is weightless, as the future has already happened and is immutable.

And I don't mean prequels that are set in the same world but follow new characters, that is OK. But then that is not really a prequel just a shared universe.

On 8/12/2021 at 10:37 PM, m76 said:

I hate prequels. I just can't enjoy a story when I already know a fixed point in the future where all the characters will end up. Everything you do in a prequel is weightless, as the future has already happened and is immutable.

And I don't mean prequels that are set in the same world but follow new characters, that is OK. But then that is not really a prequel just a shared universe.

Exactly - it absolutely kills the suspense I'd enjoy in playing the game. When I already know what's going to become of the character on the long run kills the vibe for me. 

I think one of the motivations for a prequel is that a lot of people start asking questions like "how" and "why" about the protagonist. Like (once again I'm referencing RDR) I can see a lot of people asking how and why John Marston was hunting down specific people. And also why he seemed to know them so well. Then in RDR2, it shows where he came from, and explains the "how" and "why" of his background with the first game. So a lot of people (myself included) enjoy it because they're understanding the previous game better, which could lead to them enjoying it even more. It worked that way for me anyway.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

I think one of the motivations for a prequel is that a lot of people start asking questions like "how" and "why" about the protagonist. Like (once again I'm referencing RDR) I can see a lot of people asking how and why John Marston was hunting down specific people. And also why he seemed to know them so well. Then in RDR2, it shows where he came from, and explains the "how" and "why" of his background with the first game. So a lot of people (myself included) enjoy it because they're understanding the previous game better, which could lead to them enjoying it even more. It worked that way for me anyway.

Yeah - I do agree that to some extent, it was very good how it was applied to RDR2. It helped to throw more light on the background of John Marston for any gamer who's inquisitive.