Register Now
StaceyPowers

Video game ideas that were good in theory, but suffered in execution?

As much as I loved playing Need for Speed genre, the NFS 2015 concept wasn't really perfect in its design and execution. A lot of things were off in the game with its maps being too small and almost seemly the same all round no matter where you choose drive. It's map should be made to copy great city's that would offer good gaming experience. 

The trailer looked good enough but it's not the best of Need for Speed genres. 

The Playstation 3's Lair singlehandedly killed the console's hope of seeing much use out of its gyro controls. The idea of the game being you were a dragon rider, and would fly around in a series of action-strategy missions. It was very interesting, and what little I played of it had shown clearly shown the devs they knew what they were doing, thematically speaking. Alas, playing was bittersweet: the gyro controls were dire, and it wasn't made clear enough that they were recommended rather than mandatory (as you could use the standard controls, but most people were too disappointed to continue on).

Another game that I also felt that the developers along the way took a wrong turn in its make is Death Stranding 2019. It came with a good graphics, perfect character combination but with a confusing plot. It's battles were way too easy with fighting skills of opponents and even in boss fights almost the same thing. To sum it up, the battles are generally boring and repetitive. 

NASCAR Thunder '02.  The cars were way too hard to control.  Take one of the hardest to control race cars in motorsports history and make it worse and you have NASCAR Thunder '02.  I'm not saying the Gen 4 NASCAR race cars really handled like this, but if they had in real life it would have ruined the careers of legends like Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Tony Stewart.

25 minutes ago, Family sedan said:

NASCAR Thunder '02.  The cars were way too hard to control.  Take one of the hardest to control race cars in motorsports history and make it worse and you have NASCAR Thunder '02.  I'm not saying the Gen 4 NASCAR race cars really handled like this, but if they had in real life it would have ruined the careers of legends like Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Tony Stewart.

I actually didn't get to play NASCAR Thunder '02 and from what you just explained, it's pretty a hard one to swallow if it's that hard to control cars in the game. Let me even look for its trailer if it's possible to get it. 

13 hours ago, Heatman said:

Another game that I also felt that the developers along the way took a wrong turn in its make is Death Stranding 2019. It came with a good graphics, perfect character combination but with a confusing plot. It's battles were way too easy with fighting skills of opponents and even in boss fights almost the same thing. To sum it up, the battles are generally boring and repetitive. 

Totally agree with you there - it has potential but the plot of the game is so convoluted that nobody understood it.  Not one person can fully explain the story of the Death Stranding universe because nobody gets it.

I'm going to also include Cyberpunk 2077 in this as well because it's a game with lots of potential but the reality of what was presented completely killed its hype. From being unplayable on last-gen consoles to being a buggy mess on current gen consoles and PCs (has improved somewhat after the patches but still has lots of bugs).