Register Now
The Blackangel

Playstation Camera

I'm looking into getting a Playstation camera, but one thing that I'm reading is making me hesitant. From what I'm reading, it seems that the PS camera as strictly a VR item. Is that the case, or can I use it without the VR setup? I would like to have one for my PS4 to use for the gaming channel we're doing, but if it's not an option, then I guess I have to look elsewhere. That would be a pain, and I do already have a webcam that plugs into a USB port, but I don't know if it would be compatible with the PS4, so I haven't tried to plug it into the system as of yet.

9 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

So my regular old webcam would be a better option then? If I plug it into the PlayStation will it recognize the device?

It won't, like I said you would have to use a capture card and PC if you wanted to use a USB webcam.  The PS4's uses its own proprietary connector and there's no software for standard USB camera's.  You can use the PS4 webcam for streaming on Twitch but the features and overall presentation are nowhere near as good as they are on PC.

On 8/31/2021 at 8:37 AM, Crazycrab said:

It won't, like I said you would have to use a capture card and PC if you wanted to use a USB webcam.  The PS4's uses its own proprietary connector and there's no software for standard USB camera's.  You can use the PS4 webcam for streaming on Twitch but the features and overall presentation are nowhere near as good as they are on PC.

This ^

the camera also has a mic and can be used as a replacement for a microphone to talk in some games, although not ideal since it’s quality isn’t that amazing (same with its picture quality to be honest).