Register Now
StaceyPowers

Realism vs. convenience?

What features do you like/not mind in video games for reasons of convenience, despite reducing realism? For example, there are transparent open doors in Dragon Age Origins you can walk right through. They reduce realism, but they are one less annoying obstacle in combat.

Loot or treasures that glow in some way. It helps to find it so I don't mind, but looks out of place in a realistic environment. Sometimes though it just looks magical and I except it as part of the environment since the beauty also looks magical. Another thing is torches or bonfires that are always lit. I can't even keep a campfire lit without constantly adding wood. But again I don't mind because it looks cool. 

27 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Loot or treasures that glow in some way. It helps to find it so I don't mind, but looks out of place in a realistic environment. Sometimes though it just looks magical and I except it as part of the environment since the beauty also looks magical. Another thing is torches or bonfires that are always lit. I can't even keep a campfire lit without constantly adding wood. But again I don't mind because it looks cool. 

I like that sort of thing. It's useful to distinguish items that you can collect or use from things that are just part of the background. I don't know about anyone else, but without that I'd end up trying to pick up/interact with everything that looks even remotely useful wasting hours of my life.

23 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I like that sort of thing. It's useful to distinguish items that you can collect or use from things that are just part of the background. I don't know about anyone else, but without that I'd end up trying to pick up/interact with everything that looks even remotely useful wasting hours of my life.

Yeah I don't really mind, but for example in AC games I get so immersed, then to see sparkles rising from treasures or a dead body is a little out of place. Other times it adds to the surrounding magic like if I were around ancient ruins or something. 

5 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

If a treasure doesn't glitter, it doesn't make it real enough to begin with, so I'd say it's something that I really care about with it's application in games. 

On 9/7/2021 at 9:53 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I quite like these because they help you to find certain items that wouldn't be easily recognizable because they blend in with the background.

4 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I quite like these because they help you to find certain items that wouldn't be easily recognizable because they blend in with the background.

Exactly - if something like a treasure comes to be with no real features of what a treasure is supposed to be, then it's definitely not going to offer any sense of accuracy.