Register Now
StaceyPowers

Moments in games where a lack of soundtracking is impactful

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

What are some moments in video games where the absence of soundtracking itself makes a statement? For example, this happens in TLOU when Joel is looking for Ellie at one point, and I feel it conveys how focused and desperate he is.

Assume the soundtrack was ON their is no way Joel would've been concentrated to find Ellie at some point in the game, lol. We need focus to play and get the information clearly from the game. 

2 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

Assume the soundtrack was ON their is no way Joel would've been concentrated to find Ellie at some point in the game, lol. We need focus to play and get the information clearly from the game. 

lol. Not really what I was getting at. More like ... the soundtrack was an expression of his state of mind prior to that event--like, we're on a mission/epic quest. But then it's silent when it's just a man searching for his surrogate daughter, who doesn't care anymore about the mission.

10 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

lol. Not really what I was getting at. More like ... the soundtrack was an expression of his state of mind prior to that event--like, we're on a mission/epic quest. But then it's silent when it's just a man searching for his surrogate daughter, who doesn't care anymore about the mission.

The man has gone exile, simply to search for his daughter, simply forgetting about the mission  and chasing the daughter in the game xD. 

People underestimate just how much a soundtrack adds to the storytelling, it's pretty much one third of the experience.  So taking the soundtrack away is a risky move but it can have a profound effect under the right circumstances.

It's usually effective if you want evoke a feeling of emptiness, like there is something missing.  So it works perfectly at the stage that @StaceyPowers was talking about since without Ellie, Joel doesn't feel "complete".

I think the best example I can think of is from an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer called "The Body". In it Buffy discovers the body of her mother Joyce who died from complications of an earlier brain surgery.  The only time there is any music in the entire episode is during a flashback sequence where they are celebrating Thanksgiving or something.  This being the only where we see Joyce alive.  The lack of a soundtrack suits the tone perfectly.

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

People underestimate just how much a soundtrack adds to the storytelling, it's pretty much one third of the experience.  So taking the soundtrack away is a risky move but it can have a profound effect under the right circumstances.

It's usually effective if you want evoke a feeling of emptiness, like there is something missing.  So it works perfectly at the stage that @StaceyPowers was talking about since without Ellie, Joel doesn't feel "complete".

I think the best example I can think of is from an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer called "The Body". In it Buffy discovers the body of her mother Joyce who died from complications of an earlier brain surgery.  The only time there is any music in the entire episode is during a flashback sequence where they are celebrating Thanksgiving or something.  This being the only where we see Joyce alive.  The lack of a soundtrack suits the tone perfectly.

I love how you explained it with Joel and Ellie--that's another great interpretation. And it connects well with the Buffy example.

Looking back on when I played Saints Row the Third, the most memorable moments in the game for me were when a particular song would come on. What I Got, Power, You're the Best, and Holding Out for a Hero in particular. People who have played SR3 will know what scenes I'm talking about.