Register Now
killamch89

Ubisoft Devs Diss CEO In Protest, Execs Grow Desperate & Give Pay Raises To Stop Devs From Leaving

This situation has been going on for some time now even before the Activision case came to light but now things seem to have reached its boiling point and devs have started to leave and execs are panicking. Hopefully, the courts will get involved in this one as well. What are your thoughts about this?

I remember at Sony they targeted higher-paid (i.e. senior) developers for layoffs. Several years back, after releasing one of their annual titles, they had a big layoff. "Thanks for the hard work to ship this game. Now here's your pink slip." They continually got rid of experienced, senior developers and replaced them with cheaper, new developers. We joked that we were training our replacements. The next year, after shipping the following annual release, the entire team that I had been on was laid off.

Ubisoft has reached their peak and now is and has been in a slow decline. This is what we see when empires fall, where the workplace (citizens) becomes in disarray and the ones at the top won't make the right decisions. And it all is a sort of entrenched fate they created themselves as they pursue money more than support of their 'people'. And we see that direction with 'pay for service' games like the coming AC Infinity paving the way for more of this greed cycle that other developers may pursue. This can't be swept under the rug, and fans will move on while the only ones that suffer is Ubisoft themselves. If they come to the point of employee protests, walkouts, and a desperate attempt to increase pay in a discriminatory way, then they have already lost the handle. So expect to see quality diminish in their future games as their reputation won't attract those veteran employees. 

On 11/18/2021 at 6:58 AM, Empire said:

I remember at Sony they targeted higher-paid (i.e. senior) developers for layoffs. Several years back, after releasing one of their annual titles, they had a big layoff. "Thanks for the hard work to ship this game. Now here's your pink slip." They continually got rid of experienced, senior developers and replaced them with cheaper, new developers. We joked that we were training our replacements. The next year, after shipping the following annual release, the entire team that I had been on was laid off.

That sucks to hear and I'm not even startled by this story as Sony has been making some rather poor decisions in the past decade.

On 11/18/2021 at 12:52 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Ubisoft has reached their peak and now is and has been in a slow decline. This is what we see when empires fall, where the workplace (citizens) becomes in disarray and the ones at the top won't make the right decisions. And it all is a sort of entrenched fate they created themselves as they pursue money more than support of their 'people'. And we see that direction with 'pay for service' games like the coming AC Infinity paving the way for more of this greed cycle that other developers may pursue. This can't be swept under the rug, and fans will move on while the only ones that suffer is Ubisoft themselves. If they come to the point of employee protests, walkouts, and a desperate attempt to increase pay in a discriminatory way, then they have already lost the handle. So expect to see quality diminish in their future games as their reputation won't attract those veteran employees. 

The quality in games have been diminishing for years now and it's going to implode far worse than the Blizzard one.

12 hours ago, skyfire said:

Yes that happens with most of the game companies. You never expect the game companies to work in your favor long term. 

Sure, they are humans, and they have other things to look after too. They can't stand in the support all the time for the employees when trouble befall them, unless it's internal issues.