Register Now
Lämmchen

Geocaching

I always wanted to try geocaching but haven't done it yet. My old phone was really bad and I knew I couldn't use it and never wanted to buy any separate device in order to participate. The local park has a geocache to find and I THINK I know the area where it's at but I'm not sure.

Have you ever done geocaching? What are some tips?

One of my colleagues is into geocaching, he was at some point the leader of the local geocaching community. He still bicycles up to 10k miles a year at 65.

That said for geocaching your phone is not going to cut it. Firstly because its battery will die if you use to navigate all day. And second it's not nearly precise enough to pinpoint your location, especially in a forest. You need dedicated hiking GPS if you are serious about it.

Your phone's GPS can be 100 meters off, or even more, a hiking GPS should be accurate to around 5-10 meters.

Edited by m76

4 hours ago, m76 said:

One of my colleagues is into geocaching, he was at some point the leader of the local geocaching community. He still bicycles up to 10k miles a year at 65.

That said for geocaching your phone is not going to cut it. Firstly because its battery will die if you use to navigate all day. And second it's not nearly precise enough to pinpoint your location, especially in a forest. You need dedicated hiking GPS if you are serious about it.

Your phone's GPS can be 100 meters off, or even more, a hiking GPS should be accurate to around 5-10 meters.

I didn't know that about the phone! Thanks. I kind of thought that at least in the park that's near me that if I were around it that I could find it because some people had left comments on a website that it was near water and the log book had gotten wet. That type of clue leads me to a few spots that it could be located.

8 minutes ago, Lämmchen said:

I didn't know that about the phone! Thanks. I kind of thought that at least in the park that's near me that if I were around it that I could find it because some people had left comments on a website that it was near water and the log book had gotten wet. That type of clue leads me to a few spots that it could be located.

Depending on how open the sky is in the park you might be able to find the cache using your phone, it's not impossible, just ignore caches in deep forests or mountainous areas.

On 11/28/2021 at 8:05 AM, m76 said:

Depending on how open the sky is in the park you might be able to find the cache using your phone, it's not impossible, just ignore caches in deep forests or mountainous areas.

Unfortunately the one I want to find is in a wooded area and it's kind of a dead zone for my phone  😞   I have a better phone now so I'm going to try to see if I can get a signal in that area now.

It’s been years since I last went Geocaching. I do remember though it’s important to replace the item when picking one up! Otherwise it kinda ruins it for the next person who comes along. It’s good fun with friends and family, giving a point to walking in the outdoors