Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do completionist tendencies ever compel you to do things you hate in games?

On 12/2/2021 at 11:58 PM, Oblivion Knight said:

Collectibles are definitely a bit of a chore when it comes to gaming.. It just feels like a really cheap way of extending the longevity of a game.

Multiplayer trophies/achievements are another.. Especially when you have to spend several hours grinding out progress toward completing a task.

That's the core essence of having to put you through the process of items collection. It never comes easy otherwise they wouldn't include it at all. 

On 11/30/2021 at 9:16 PM, StaceyPowers said:

For those who are compulsive completionists, have your tendencies ever driven you to go so far to do something that you hated every minute of it, and maybe even burned out on the game for a time?

Once you find yourself operating within that sphere of being a completionist, you simply can't really help going to any extent to have your tasks completed. 

31 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Once you find yourself operating within that sphere of being a completionist, you simply can't really help going to any extent to have your tasks completed. 

Exactly, when they can be forced to pay to play and win as long as they can be able to complete the games in question they are playing. 

11 hours ago, Boblee said:

Exactly, when they can be forced to pay to play and win as long as they can be able to complete the games in question they are playing. 

One of colleagues is just like that when it comes to games that he plays. He shocked one day at work when he had to pay for an extra $60 to complete a game he bought for $65 if I remembered correctly. 

9 hours ago, Heatman said:

One of colleagues is just like that when it comes to games that he plays. He shocked one day at work when he had to pay for an extra $60 to complete a game he bought for $65 if I remembered correctly. 

Imagine having to pay more than what you purchased a game all in the name of microtransactions and with the bid to complete the game faster. 

7 hours ago, Boblee said:

Imagine having to pay more than what you purchased a game all in the name of microtransactions and with the bid to complete the game faster. 

Seriously, I would never do that. No matter how compelled I felt to pay and play, I would never give into it for any reason whatsoever. 

16 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, I would never do that. No matter how compelled I felt to pay and play, I would never give into it for any reason whatsoever. 

Those gamers who do that are very difficult for me to understand their real gaming motive because it just doesn't add up at all. 

1 hour ago, Boblee said:

Those gamers who do that are very difficult for me to understand their real gaming motive because it just doesn't add up at all. 

There is no other motive that they have other than to pay to play and complete the games first to probably brag about it later. 

23 hours ago, Heatman said:

There is no other motive that they have other than to pay to play and complete the games first to probably brag about it later. 

The feeling that they have from rushing the games and bragging about it is something that I'm yet to understand exactly how it works for them. 

3 hours ago, Boblee said:

The feeling that they have from rushing the games and bragging about it is something that I'm yet to understand exactly how it works for them. 

Some things are really beyond my control and understanding as well as grasp which is why I don't give attention much to such. 

On 12/18/2021 at 1:11 PM, Heatman said:

Some things are really beyond my control and understanding as well as grasp which is why I don't give attention much to such. 

It's actually why gamers who aren't pressed about being a game's completionist have more peace playing their games.