Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do completionist tendencies ever compel you to do things you hate in games?

Well, mostly having to collect a ton of items that gets you nothing. I can't stand collecting things that aren't really needed. Like in the Assassin Creed games, having to collect feathers and other items. It just gets really tedious to have to do that. And when they tie it into an achievement, I usually don't bother unless it's easy and I can traverse through the map really fast. Otherwise I just don't have the patience. 

23 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

For those who are compulsive completionists, have your tendencies ever driven you to go so far to do something that you hated every minute of it, and maybe even burned out on the game for a time?

That's a good question. I sometimes do some things that I wouldn't otherwise do just to get the attached achievement or reward, but there are lines I do not cross.

On 11/30/2021 at 9:16 PM, StaceyPowers said:

For those who are compulsive completionists, have your tendencies ever driven you to go so far to do something that you hated every minute of it, and maybe even burned out on the game for a time?

Such kind of gamers would never really give up on any game that they have invested their time into play even it means getting their money involved in the game so as to complete everything that has to do with the game.

On 12/1/2021 at 3:42 AM, Kane99 said:

Well, mostly having to collect a ton of items that gets you nothing. I can't stand collecting things that aren't really needed. Like in the Assassin Creed games, having to collect feathers and other items. It just gets really tedious to have to do that. And when they tie it into an achievement, I usually don't bother unless it's easy and I can traverse through the map really fast. Otherwise I just don't have the patience. 

Collectibles are definitely a bit of a chore when it comes to gaming.. It just feels like a really cheap way of extending the longevity of a game.

Multiplayer trophies/achievements are another.. Especially when you have to spend several hours grinding out progress toward completing a task.

1 hour ago, Oblivion Knight said:

Collectibles are definitely a bit of a chore when it comes to gaming.. It just feels like a really cheap way of extending the longevity of a game.

Multiplayer trophies/achievements are another.. Especially when you have to spend several hours grinding out progress toward completing a task.

That's exactly what it is. They want you to take as much time as you can with the game, so they add these collectibles that are small, and all over the map. It made playing Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag a chore. I don't know why I chose to collect them all, but I did. 

Oh I hate online trophies and achievements. Because eventually those are unattainable if the servers get shut down. Some games you could revive via your own servers, but not every game will work. 

14 hours ago, Kane99 said:

That's exactly what it is. They want you to take as much time as you can with the game, so they add these collectibles that are small, and all over the map. It made playing Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag a chore. I don't know why I chose to collect them all, but I did. 

Oh I hate online trophies and achievements. Because eventually those are unattainable if the servers get shut down. Some games you could revive via your own servers, but not every game will work. 

The issue of servers shut down is a very big challenge for most online gamers because in the worst case scenario, you can't recover any data when it caves in. 

To be honest, I'm not that big of a completionist myself, but it can happen to me with some collectibles or something I see it's feasible to complete but it's still a somewhat tedious task. However, most of the times I will do it because I find some enjoyment in it, so I guess "hate" is too strong of a word.

I suppose it comes with the territory, but then it also begs the question for another, much bigger discussion: what makes someone a completionist? Is it on a per-game basis, or is there a measure of what makes a person a completionist, and to what extent will someone go to 'complete' something?

To give you some examples of when I'd done something for completion's sakes, my favourite game of 2020 was Vakyria Chronicles. I used a cheat engine on the third or so mission because I found the game too tough, but the story, music, and art style to be so impressive. I then decided to use the cheat engine to get all of the content done, including non-achievement stuff which I only wanted initially. It's a game I will forever kick myself for cheating at, but the guilt is bittersweet because I enjoyed the game so much that it was worth every minute.

Another time I did something for completion's sake was Insane in the Membrane in World of Warcraft. I wrote all about that on this here forum, so no need to repeat too much of that. But I found a love for something I previously never saw any sense in, and now lament that there's no more reasonable grind in the game.

Edited by Withywarlock

12 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I suppose it comes with the territory, but then it also begs the question for another, much bigger discussion: what makes someone a completionist? Is it on a per-game basis, or is there a measure of what makes a person a completionist, and to what extent will someone go to 'complete' something?

To give you some examples of when I'd done something for completion's sakes, my favourite game of 2020 was Vakyria Chronicles. I used a cheat engine on the third or so mission because I found the game too tough, but the story, music, and art style to be so impressive. I then decided to use the cheat engine to get all of the content done, including non-achievement stuff which I only wanted initially. It's a game I will forever kick myself for cheating at, but the guilt is bittersweet because I enjoyed the game so much that it was worth every minute.

Another time I did something for completion's sake was Insane in the Membrane in World of Warcraft. I wrote all about that on this here forum, so no need to repeat too much of that. But I found a love for something I previously never saw any sense in, and now lament that there's no more reasonable grind in the game.

The one common thing that I was actually able to discern about gamers who are completionist is that nothing is off limits to them when it comes to the route they are willing to take in order to complete a game.