Register Now
StaceyPowers

Series where instalments are best viewed as standalones?

Nintendo's two icons. Mario and Zelda. With Mario, every incarnation of the Mushroom Kingdom is a totally different universe. It's the same with Zelda. Hyrule is never the same from one game to the next. And the differences are so extreme, it's like we're playing the game on the multiverse theory. And this is for the main series, and none of the spinoffs from Mario or Zelda.

Assassin's Creed, GTA, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Metal Gear...  The more I think about it I can't actually think of very many franchises with more than a few games where they all DO directly connect.  Only Mass Effect, Halo and Gears of War come to mind and even their kinda debatable.

Thats a good question. GTA is a definite, but we do know all the games are in the same world aside from maybe the original top down games. 

Assassins creed somewhat after the first set of games. Honestly I think you guys got most of the good ones listed. I can't think kf anymore off the top of my head.

On 12/31/2021 at 11:45 PM, Crazycrab said:

Assassin's Creed, GTA, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Metal Gear...  The more I think about it I can't actually think of very many franchises with more than a few games where they all DO directly connect.  Only Mass Effect, Halo and Gears of War come to mind and even their kinda debatable.

With the trash they are doing with Battlefield series lately, I think that they have most likely reached where they need to take a breather.