Register Now
StormyFire

Gaming on Linux

I have not, I have used the OS before but not for gaming. Depends on the game genre. For 3D-intensive games, I find that, on the occasions where you can find a Linux port at all, it was usually optimized for DirectX and/or Windows, so its performance suffers significantly, on the order of 25% or more. This is not inherent to the Linux architecture. It's just that the market gravitates towards Windows for consumer-level applications, among which are games, because it's simple to use despite being an engineering disaster.

4 hours ago, Empire said:

I have not, I have used the OS before but not for gaming. Depends on the game genre. For 3D-intensive games, I find that, on the occasions where you can find a Linux port at all, it was usually optimized for DirectX and/or Windows, so its performance suffers significantly, on the order of 25% or more. This is not inherent to the Linux architecture. It's just that the market gravitates towards Windows for consumer-level applications, among which are games, because it's simple to use despite being an engineering disaster.

Microsoft Windows have been very dominant in the market to the extent that it's going to be very difficult for other companies to give them stiff competition. It doesn't mean that Linux isn't good. I think my Dell years back came with LINUX OS.