Register Now
Jayson

Wealth That is Eventually Lost

8 minutes ago, Jayson said:

https://moneywise.com/a/ch-c/nba-players-who-lost-it-all/

We see lottery winners who go broke.  We see high-paid sports figures who go broke.   How can this be prevented?    How would you avoid the same dilemma?

You can't generalize these kind of situations.  When wealthy people loose their fortune it can happen for a catalogue list of different reasons.  Reckless spending, bad investments, victims of scams, addiction to gambling, drink or drugs, caught engaging in criminal activity, the list goes on forever.  The very article you posted list more than 20 different examples, none of them exactly the same.

As to how it can be prevented?  Again it's case by case.  I believe that also applies as to wether we should even feel sorry for them at all.

It can't be prevented externally because it's the individual who decides what do with their money.

But i feel everyone should be educated financially and have a good understanding about money so they could avoid making wrong choices if they eventually make some good amount of money.

On 7/29/2022 at 8:12 PM, killamch89 said:

As @Clasher said, the lottery winner has to be very wise with their money. They need to invest it wisely and live within their means - why do you think rich people stay rich.

People who spend all their money at a single moment usually did that same thing when they had little to spend as well, so you can expect a change when the money gets bigger.

Poor spend extravagantly as much as the rich does its that the rich has more money to throw away than the poor does.

Good financial education should be among the school curriculum in my opinion.

8 hours ago, Clasher said:

People who spend all their money at a single moment usually did that same thing when they had little to spend as well, so you can expect a change when the money gets bigger.

Poor spend extravagantly as much as the rich does its that the rich has more money to throw away than the poor does.

Good financial education should be among the school curriculum in my opinion.

That's so true - poor people spend money trying to impress other people while most things rich people spend their money on tend to be an investment in their eyes.

15 hours ago, killamch89 said:

That's so true - poor people spend money trying to impress other people while most things rich people spend their money on tend to be an investment in their eyes.

That's exactly the point.

Don't live your life a lie, be true to yourself so you don't be a case of "poor people trying to show other poor people that they are rich". Lol