Register Now
Lens

Elden Ring is overhyped

15 hours ago, Grungie said:

I always feel like people use overhyped and overrated as a synonym of “it’s popular and/or well loved and I hate it.” They always talk about how much they hate it.

People are always so baffled when I say I enjoy something and call it overrated. Like somehow you can’t have the two.

For real though, it better to just come out plain and say a you don't like a video or enjoy it as much as others do instead of terming it as "overhyped".

This has been the case for several other games in the past and because this thread is About Elden ring I wouldn't mention them here.

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

That's the thing, it didn't really need all the hype to begin with, because it being made by the creator of Dark Souls and Bloodborne was more than enough to sell this game. Fans knew what they were getting, and it's for the most part, what they wanted. If this was by a no name studio and unknown team, I don't think there would have been as much hype. There would be some, but not on the level of what this guy gets. 

Even at that, I don't think that FromSoftware Inc was willing to take any chances without having to push and boost the game's publicity to their fans.

Dark Souls, Bloodborne and even Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice never disappointed but gambling on fans just believing that the company would deliver without doing much would be one risky move. 

On 7/29/2022 at 11:43 AM, Heatman said:

Even at that, I don't think that FromSoftware Inc was willing to take any chances without having to push and boost the game's publicity to their fans.

Dark Souls, Bloodborne and even Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice never disappointed but gambling on fans just believing that the company would deliver without doing much would be one risky move. 

That's true, because a game was made by developers of some really interesting franchise wouldn't guarantee a really large number of sells.

Take for instance marvel studios in as much as they have made a lot of interesting superhero movies they still hype and promote any newer movie so well and ensure it sells as much as they want it to.

4 hours ago, Clasher said:

That's true, because a game was made by developers of some really interesting franchise wouldn't guarantee a really large number of sells.

Take for instance marvel studios in as much as they have made a lot of interesting superhero movies they still hype and promote any newer movie so well and ensure it sells as much as they want it to.

Exactly!! The advertisement that follows the game is what makes it sell the way it's expected to sell. Once that's not taken care of, it's going to be very difficult for the company to meet its sales expectations on the video game's sales. 

12 hours ago, Heatman said:

Exactly!! The advertisement that follows the game is what makes it sell the way it's expected to sell. Once that's not taken care of, it's going to be very difficult for the company to meet its sales expectations on the video game's sales. 

When a game is good it can automatically get free advertising from game fans who enjoyed it, to be honest most of the games we play is because we hear our friends or other people talk about it so much that we are moved to try it out for ourselves.

This same scenerio also happened in the case of Elden ring after it was released those who played it first were making a lot of positive reviews about it and you would feel a bit left out if you didn't try it out for yourself.

I think it's great. Not really as good as people make it out to be personally but still great. I felt it was kind of TOO big, and didn't feel as much as a dungeon crawler as the previous Souls games were, which is something I really like. I know most people like that about it, as most seemed to just want "Dark Souls but open world" and for them it's probably a game they can enjoy forever due to its sheer size and replayability. I also appreciate how videogame-y it feels, as I'm not a fan of when games are overly cinematic. I can just turn it on and whack my sword at ghouls for a while.

It's exactly what most fans of the series wanted, which is why it's getting so much praise. I'd call that regularly hyped rather than overhyped.

15 hours ago, Clasher said:

When a game is good it can automatically get free advertising from game fans who enjoyed it, to be honest most of the games we play is because we hear our friends or other people talk about it so much that we are moved to try it out for ourselves.

This same scenerio also happened in the case of Elden ring after it was released those who played it first were making a lot of positive reviews about it and you would feel a bit left out if you didn't try it out for yourself.

Elden Ring was well hyped and from all indications it met the all the expectations on it. A lot of people are still even buying the game as we speak. 

There was one gaming forum where Elden Ring subject was being discussed and a pool was set to know how many people had the game. Over 500 votes in support of having the game. 

From-software have already seen around 12m copies of Eden ring sold, which shows that people are still buying the game. The word 'hyping, is what video game companies are using to drag sales to their game(s), irrespective of the game's performance. 

4 hours ago, Justin11 said:

The word 'hyping, is what video game companies are using to drag sales to their game(s), irrespective of the game's performance. 

Is it? I've never seen a company refer to hype save for Payday 2's Hypetrain event (which, appropriately, was an utter trainwreck). There's a lot of marketing in advertisement, interviews, announcements, press releases, demos, trailers and so on... but 'hype' is a word I've only seen the audience use.

I think this topic is nearing its end. If people have anything new to add to the topic, or if anyone who hasn't contributed to it yet would like to do so, now's the time before it gets locked to save post-farming.