Register Now
killamch89

Sonic Frontiers Producer Says Fans Criticizing Game "Don't Understand It" & Game Won't Be Delayed

Now let me just say this before we go any further. The game looks like a fan-made Sonic game with the walking animation looking like he's moonwalking like Michael Jackson, the running animation looks like he's ice skating and also, the graphics are average at best. The gameplay is typical Sonic but in an open-world setting and overall, the Sonic Frontiers looks like total ass from the gameplay trailer that I watched. As usual the developer "doesn't understand" when even Stevie Wonder can see that the game is absolute trash in its current state. 

What are your thoughts of Sonic Frontier's gameplay trailer and are you looking forward to the game?

You are right, he looks funny while running. There is no movement except his feet tottering across the ice. The background looks empty and blurry which kind of makes it seem less awe inspiring. I imagine an open world Sonic to be full of life and color. I watched the beginning clip of some of the gameplay so that might not be the best representation of the game, and I'm not sold on it if it was. Being up high in altitude like that, I expect a lot more to look at. Those are my thoughts.  

This was yet another franchise that had no business going open-world. The Sonic series' gameplay has always been about going in one direction very fast. They're basically racing games. Making an open-world Sonic game is like dropping a Lamborghini in the middle of a forest and removing the finish line. The Legend of Sonic: Breath of the Knuckles is just another cash grab driven by investors who can't comprehend that no matter how much money it made, you can't just turn anything into Fallout.

2 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

You are right, he looks funny while running. There is no movement except his feet tottering across the ice. The background looks empty and blurry which kind of makes it seem less awe inspiring. I imagine an open world Sonic to be full of life and color. I watched the beginning clip of some of the gameplay so that might not be the best representation of the game, and I'm not sold on it if it was. Being up high in altitude like that, I expect a lot more to look at. Those are my thoughts.  

No that's pretty much the whole thing, the game world is dead, he runs like an ice skater and the game looks like a fan-made product.

2 minutes ago, HowHammerYou said:

This was yet another franchise that had no business going open-world. The Sonic series' gameplay has always been about going in one direction very fast. They're basically racing games. Making an open-world Sonic game is like dropping a Lamborghini in the middle of a forest and removing the finish line. The Legend of Sonic: Breath of the Knuckles is just another cash grab driven by investors who can't comprehend that no matter how much money it made, you can't just turn anything into Fallout.

I'm in total agreement - I hope this tanks worse than Anthem did for EA just to teach these idiots a lesson. Not everything should be open-world.

While I wouldn't mind giving this a go, I certainly won't be paying £50 for it. Sonic Frontiers looks like it's the very worst of open world game design: empty because the character has "gotta go fast" meaning few obstacles and worthwhile challenges. Their one boss concept is essentially Egg Golem, which was great 21 years ago, but there's no way this is going to be the next Shadow of Collossus which they so desperately want it to be.

The thing is there's already much better looking, more faithful open world Sonic games like Sonic: Utopia. The only thing that game seems to lack is purpose; what's the objective besides going fast around awesome looking levels listening to a great rendition of Green Hill Zone? It's difficult to come up with a reason that isn't just radio towers and bosses that have some vague reason to spawn where they do.

If we don't understand the concept Takashi Iizuka's job is to make that clear, or at least their marketing department is meant to. I get enough yOu JuSt DoN't GeT iT from fandoms and forums, I don't need a studio head telling me that also. Your marketing has failed if we don't get it.

As for delays, they won't automatically make the game good: delays still mean crunch is necessary, which means exhausted developers making more mistakes than rescue efforts. The whole proof of concept needs reworking from the ground up, and given to a team that is fresh enough to see it through to the end.

I will say in sympathy that Sonic is a victim of his fame: you can't do much else with him besides Sonic Mania again or hope to strike gold with the Adventure games (so far '06 and Unleashed have been found wanting). At least Sega take on the developers making good fan projects.

6 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Is this Sonic's first attempt at open world? If so, they better start listening to criticism if they want any success or maybe they feel they will sell no matter what. 

Technically no. Sonic Adventure and Sonic the Hedgehoog (2006) were hub-based, but if we're talking the scale of Assassin's Creed or as @HowHammerYou mentions Fallout, no. Sonic's never been 'this' open-world. The reasons, if they aren't clear from the marketing, will be apparent come release. 😞

I watched the full game play footage and to me it looks more like a proof of concept rather than the final stage. The bugs and glitches I can let slide, but what really bothers me is the contrast between sonics character model vs the world he’s in. It feel like they took 3d cartoon sonic and put him in the world of assassins creed. For me, if they changed sonics character model to match the environment while keeping what makes sonic “sonic” then I’d buy the game once the price dropped.

On 6/17/2022 at 7:28 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Is this Sonic's first attempt at open world? If so, they better start listening to criticism if they want any success or maybe they feel they will sell no matter what. 

If I remember correctly, this is their first attempt. 

On 6/18/2022 at 6:17 AM, Empire said:

I watched the full game play footage and to me it looks more like a proof of concept rather than the final stage. The bugs and glitches I can let slide, but what really bothers me is the contrast between sonics character model vs the world he’s in. It feel like they took 3d cartoon sonic and put him in the world of assassins creed. For me, if they changed sonics character model to match the environment while keeping what makes sonic “sonic” then I’d buy the game once the price dropped.

This sonic looks like the original one from the movie before he got redesigned. Considering the game is coming out relatively soon and they're not delaying it, if that's a proof of concept, we should be very worried.