Register Now
DC

Indonesia is blocking Epic Games, Steam, and Battle.net

Anyone who is in Indonesia who wants to use Epic Games, Steam or Battle.net is out of luck right now. The Ministry of Communication and Information Technology (“Kominfo”) required the companies to register with it, and they didn’t, so now, it is blocking access to them. Reportedly, Dota 2, Origin and CS:GO may be blocked as well if they do not register.

Is anyone here being affected by these blocks, or know anyone who is?

https://dotesports.com/general/news/epic-games-steam-and-battle-net-are-all-blocked-in-indonesia

Why haven't they signed up for this though? Do these companies see something bad with this Kominfo thing? It sounds like every major site/company has to sign up otherwise they can't be used in Indonesia. Amazon and other sites aren't signed up either, so more bans are probably coming. 

I do wonder if they will end up signing up to get the users their access back. 

I heard about this law a few years back and it was meant as a way to prevent online "propaganda" from citizens on social media sites as well as tech companies. I mean, it's the law of the land - unless the people themselves revolt, I don't think the Indonesian government will revise it.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

I heard about this law a few years back and it was meant as a way to prevent online "propaganda" from citizens on social media sites as well as tech companies. I mean, it's the law of the land - unless the people themselves revolt, I don't think the Indonesian government will revise it.

Ah okay, I can see that. So these companies are essentially not supporting it by signing up. If that's the case, then I think it's good on these companies for not signing it. Sucks for the people of indonesia, but maybe they will put up enough of a fuss about losing all of these sites/companies, maybe they will change the rules around. 

32 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Ah okay, I can see that. So these companies are essentially not supporting it by signing up. If that's the case, then I think it's good on these companies for not signing it. Sucks for the people of indonesia, but maybe they will put up enough of a fuss about losing all of these sites/companies, maybe they will change the rules around. 

I don't know - Tech companies tend to have their own unscrupulous political agendas that they will push to destabilize a country so in a way, I can't really blame them.

It's a control issue. They want to maintain control in an infantile effort to protect their youth. US went through something similar in the 80s, but culturally we overcame the hysteria. It's the social community and commentary that they want to block.

In China and Steam works fine, even without a VPN it seems. However, the workshop is not available unless they use VPN to access Steam.

On 8/2/2022 at 5:28 PM, killamch89 said:

I don't know - Tech companies tend to have their own unscrupulous political agendas that they will push to destabilize a country so in a way, I can't really blame them.

Yeah I guess, just odd to control the release of games in this way. 

4 hours ago, Empire said:

It's a control issue. They want to maintain control in an infantile effort to protect their youth. US went through something similar in the 80s, but culturally we overcame the hysteria. It's the social community and commentary that they want to block.

In China and Steam works fine, even without a VPN it seems. However, the workshop is not available unless they use VPN to access Steam.

I figured as much. I wonder if they also charge for being signed up to this list or whatever. I could see some countries doing that. 

19 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I figured as much. I wonder if they also charge for being signed up to this list or whatever. I could see some countries doing that. 

Not all, I say those that want power over everything and on there people. By doing what hey are doing they are always pooping their own country as to regards to companies not going to do business and profit also means no VAT/TAx income for that

I have a friend who's living in Indonesia but I'm not sure if he's really into playing video games like that. The only game that I have ever seen him play was FIFA back then before he traveled. 

If the companies refused to register with Kominfo, it means that there's a requirement that's going to affect their brand on the long run and it's probably not good for business. Who knows?