Register Now
Kane99

10 video games banned around the world

On 8/28/2022 at 8:44 PM, Kane99 said:

I don't know about the last part, but I wish the US stopped loot boxes. It heavily promotes gambling and I wish they would follow some of the other countries that try to ban them from games. I don't mind microtransactions, because you at least know what you're getting, but with loot boxes, you don't get that and in turn could be wasting money. 

This issue with loothboxes and gambling is a very big problem for gamers and parents that knows better have already started stepping in to cut off their kids from getting exposed to this messy part of playing video games. 

On 8/10/2022 at 12:17 PM, Kane99 said:

This is an interesting list of games banned in certain parts of the world. Some example from the article below are; Fallout 3 is banned in India because of there being two headed mutant cows, and I guess in India, cows are very sacred animals. Another example is Pokemon Go, which was banned in Malaysia because of, and I quote: "The game promoted the search for power". What that means I have no clue, and neither does the article writer lol. Even Animal Crossing: New Horizons was banned in China because people were able to make clothing items that were against China and people can go to other islands wearing it, and so they decided to just outright ban the game.

There are others on this list, but you can read the rest here - https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/banned-video-games

Any of these odd to you? 

You have to remember that English isn't the primary language of Malaysia so I think what they were trying to say is that was people were going to extreme lengths to get these Pokemon putting themselves and others in danger in the process. I just think some things were lost in translation and the mutated cow would be banned in india because the cow is revered in that part of the world. As for South Park and Australia, judging by how insane their government officials are, I'm not surprised.

It's not odd at all, especially with the case of China. China bans everything that's against them, not just video games. This does remind me of the homphobic bans in Singapore though.

https://www.singapore-samizdat.com/history-of-video-game-censorship-in-singapore/

Singapore was so homophobic in the past that we even had our own derogatory slang for homosexuals in Chinese Hokkien. It's still used sparingly around the late 2000s in a comedic fashion.

On 9/6/2022 at 1:52 AM, Akun said:

It's not odd at all, especially with the case of China. China bans everything that's against them, not just video games. This does remind me of the homphobic bans in Singapore though.

https://www.singapore-samizdat.com/history-of-video-game-censorship-in-singapore/

Singapore was so homophobic in the past that we even had our own derogatory slang for homosexuals in Chinese Hokkien. It's still used sparingly around the late 2000s in a comedic fashion.

The same thing can equally be said about what happened in South Africa too in terms of how they took handling homophobic issues. A lot of people got killed in the process. It was very ugly. 

What do you know, you learn something everyday. I know South Korea and a few other countries have very limited internet access, which nowadays heavily restricts the ability to play online with others. In these places, I'm sure they would have the dark or deep web to access or bypass government restrictions.

Honestly it doesn't surprise me that Animal Crossing is banned in China. Believe it or not, there was a 14 year ban on Video games in China! Thank god I don't live there, I can't imagine living in a country where you're restricted on how you can live your life.