Register Now
Gonassis

Anybody share their steam library with friends or family?

On 8/20/2022 at 6:59 PM, Gonassis said:

yeah, that's probably safe, the same system probably exists on Google play family sharing, and Netflix's family sharing plan too.

They just get access. Done. They have their own accounts connected to the main one.

You're very correct about Netflix's family sharing plan. I think that most people that are using Netflix services are making use of their family sharing plan. I even have two of my best friends linked to mine. I'm not sure if there's a limit to the number of people you can add to it. 

I will be honest in saying I did not realize you could share your steam library with friends and family so this is new to me. I know in the past my brother has suggested games to me or my kids on steam to try but he himself never mentioned account sharing at all which is unusual as he usually knows all this and usually tells me. I am going to have to look into this as whenever I have bought a game for my kids, they have ended up using my account to play it. If I could make them their own accounts that I had supervision over and share games that would be amazing for them and for me as they would have their own saves and their own progress rather than using mine. I will have to check this out. 

20 hours ago, Shortie said:

I will be honest in saying I did not realize you could share your steam library with friends and family so this is new to me. I know in the past my brother has suggested games to me or my kids on steam to try but he himself never mentioned account sharing at all which is unusual as he usually knows all this and usually tells me. I am going to have to look into this as whenever I have bought a game for my kids, they have ended up using my account to play it. If I could make them their own accounts that I had supervision over and share games that would be amazing for them and for me as they would have their own saves and their own progress rather than using mine. I will have to check this out. 

Yeah it's a nice feature. Though it is a bit weird in how to get it to work, because you have to sign in on their PC in order to give them access. But once you do, and turn on family sharing, it allows you to share all of your games with that person. But... You won't be able to access any games they are playing at the same time, so you need to tell the person you're sharing with that to let you know if you play something. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah it's a nice feature. Though it is a bit weird in how to get it to work, because you have to sign in on their PC in order to give them access. But once you do, and turn on family sharing, it allows you to share all of your games with that person. But... You won't be able to access any games they are playing at the same time, so you need to tell the person you're sharing with that to let you know if you play something. 

Thanks for letting me know that I would have been under the assumption that I could play the game even if they were as that is a feature on most other places. I wonder if there are any plans to make it so that more than one person can play the same game when they are sharing. That would be nice to have if they ever thought of bringing that in. 

On 11/23/2022 at 2:20 AM, Shortie said:

I felt sharing means giving others access to your steam library so they could play the video games you have on them.

It's not like you could have one steam account on several consoles at the same time.