Register Now
The Blackangel

Will video games still exist in 1,000 years? Or even 100?

I'm assuming video games will just continue to progress. It could potentially evolve into something bigger down the road. Kinda like what we're seeing with VR. Maybe we'll have machines that will let you live in any virtual worlds. 

We can only go up from here after all. Now, how long will gaming be around, no idea. I could see it going for 100+ years like movies have already achieved. I figure people still like movies, so gaming will be around for a very long time. 

It's hard to predict too far out, because the future isn't certain. Anything can happen going forward. We could go through an apocalypse or something in the future, global warming etc. A lot could stop our progress. 

I would like to think that in 100 years or even 1000 years from now gaming would most definitely be a thing, but it would have progressed quite a lot and would definitely be a lot more different than it is today. With the way gaming is now I very much doubt that it will phase out any time soon but just continue to progress and become more and more accessible for all as well as keeping up with the newest technology. I would very much love to still be around in 100 years' time just to see how gaming has progressed but given my age now, I know I will not be around to see how gaming is in 100 years' time. 

Something that is very important to consider and a very realistic problem would be available resources in order to make gaming products like the chips which we know has been in major short supply. And we see how vulnerable those resources are during war between Russia and Ukraine having most of the supply. If gaming doesn't find alternative means to build chips with, then that will likely be the end of it. Gaming won't go away naturally. Most likely it will become a part of everybody's lives in some way as it advances to meet the needs of every class/status/group no matter who you are. But with chip shortages, gaming will become a rich man's hobby. Then as the target audience changes to suit the needs of the wealthy, the games will become more adultish, xxx rated, lots of simulations, and just outright toxic to please the rich goons. 

Another situation could be a politically charged attack on gaming blaming it for violence and not conforming to authoritarian agendas which would limit access to gaming as well to literature and social media and everything else. Remember China wouldn't grant gaming developers a publishing license for a while for political reasons. They also limited amount of games to be played by kids using facial recognition technology. So politics is a real threat to the gaming world. And just as we see rich assholes buying up social media, rich assholes can also buy up game developers and publishers so as to control content for the masses. 

So enjoy it while gaming is still has creative freedom and expression.

On 11/5/2022 at 1:36 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Another situation could be a politically charged attack on gaming blaming it for violence and not conforming to authoritarian agendas which would limit access to gaming as well to literature and social media and everything else. Remember China wouldn't grant gaming developers a publishing license for a while for political reasons. They also limited amount of games to be played by kids using facial recognition technology. So politics is a real threat to the gaming world. And just as we see rich assholes buying up social media, rich assholes can also buy up game developers and publishers so as to control content for the masses. 

So enjoy it while gaming is still has creative freedom and expression.

This is quite true , it's either video games as we know them today is affected by technological advancement or maybe something political could lead it into gradual extinction.

7 hours ago, Justin11 said:

This is quite true , it's either video games as we know them today is affected by technological advancement or maybe something political could lead it into gradual extinction.

The evil culture push in my country hasn't reached games yet, but it is a target no doubt. Gaming sites like VGR are going to be the new social media as the major ones fall in culture wars.