Register Now
The Blackangel

Microsoft Blocked From Creating Gaming Industry Monopoly

The historical stigma of Bill Gates always trying to monopolize different tech sectors has never been a good thing. He did it in the 90s with the software industry and now he’s trying it again with the video game industry. One thing that Wall Street Millennial didn’t mention is the seldom possibility of Microsoft trying to buy Sony. I can’t ever see that happening but that would have the greatest ripple effect in the video game industry, larger than Atari. I’m not rooting for Microsoft at all. Monopolies are never a good thing for prices and competition.

At least one thing I do know is that no matter how much money they throw at them, Microsoft will NEVER be able to buy Nintendo. Not only because Nintendo Co. Ltd has no direct owner (the current president is the great grandson of the founder) but because they could never afford it. Microsoft would have to go bankrupt 10 times over at least. Not to mention that they were laughed out of Nintendo for trying to buy it once already. Nintendo was founded in 1889 as a playing card company. Their history stretches back further than the mere existence of both Sony and Microsoft combined. While Nintendo is only worth $54.49 billion (which is easily in Microsoft's budget) to sell to them Nintendo would demand 100 times their net worth to even consider it. With the introduction of PlayStation and Xbox into the gaming market, Nintendo's net worth dropped DRASTICALLY. All that said, they would refuse to sell. Their philosophy seems to be that bankruptcy is better than selling out.

Companies have attempted to purchase Nintendo before, though none have come close to a successful deal with the Japanese company.

In 1999, Microsoft attempted to purchase Nintendo (only a couple of years before Xbox would hit the market). According to Bloomberg, two executives approached Nintendo with an offer: Microsoft would acquire Nintendo, and while Nintendo would continue to create games, Microsoft would manufacture all of the company's hardware.

"We actually had Nintendo in our building in January 2000 to work through the details of a joint venture where we gave them all the technical specs of the Xbox," former head of business development Bob McBreen said. "But it didn’t work out."

"They just laughed their a--es off," former Microsoft third-party relations head Kevin Bachus told Bloomberg. "Like, imagine an hour of somebody just laughing at you. That was kind of how that meeting went."

While other companies have attempted to purchase Nintendo over the years, the Japan-based video game company continues to hold its own and has refused any attempt to be purchased by other developers — and with the success Nintendo has seen with the Switch, it seems like that won't change anytime soon.

Article Link

On 12/25/2022 at 1:54 PM, The Blackangel said:

Microsoft will NEVER be able to buy Nintendo.

Fun fact: They actually did try to buy Nintendo many years ago.  

https://www.eurogamer.net/microsoft-tried-to-buy-nintendo-but-they-just-laughed-their-asses-off

https://www.eurogamer.net/microsoft-reveals-letter-from-that-time-it-failed-to-buy-nintendo

"Steve [Ballmer, ex-Microsoft CEO] made us go meet with Nintendo to see if they would consider being acquired. They just laughed their asses off. Like, imagine an hour of somebody just laughing at you. That was kind of how that meeting went."

I'm curious to see what happens w/ the ActiBlizzard acquisition. If it goes through or not will be interesting to see.  Microsoft has stated it'd keep Call of Duty multiplatform, so I'm not sure why everyone is so worried even if the merger & acquisition goes through.

Edited by Smokey

On 1/2/2023 at 6:39 PM, Kale said:

Fun fact: They actually did try to buy Nintendo many years ago.

I read an article about that. They were laughed out. I'm just super happy that they failed in their attempt. If Nintendo had sold out, I wouldn't be able to play Nintendo games anymore. That's just because they would have decided that money was more important than games. Sure, they hav their shady practices, but there's no company that doesn't regardless of what market they're in.

Edited by The Blackangel

lol now Microsoft is saying they didn't know when COD started, or first came out. And they also said they don't know why COD is such a special franchise.  You can read that here - https://tech.hindustantimes.com/tech/news/microsoft-claims-to-have-no-idea-why-call-of-duty-franchise-is-special-71672767803456.html

I think the sale is going to happen eventually. This is just a temporary stop to keep them from creating a monopoly. But I think at some point, Microsoft deep pockets will get them their win. 

The gaming industry is already on its way to being a monopoly where a few companies own most of the major gaming studios.

On 1/4/2023 at 12:44 PM, The Blackangel said:

I read an article about that. They were laughed out. I'm just super happy that they failed in their attempt. If Nintendo had sold out, I wouldn't be able to play Nintendo games anymore. That's just because they would have decided that money was more important than games. Sure, they hav their shady practices, but there's no company that doesn't regardless of what market they're in.

I remember hearing about this years ago and also laughing. With that being said, I'm glad it didn't go through because Microsoft likely would've killed off most of the iconic series already like Mario Kart among others.

On 1/4/2023 at 12:54 PM, Kane99 said:

lol now Microsoft is saying they didn't know when COD started, or first came out. And they also said they don't know why COD is such a special franchise.  You can read that here - https://tech.hindustantimes.com/tech/news/microsoft-claims-to-have-no-idea-why-call-of-duty-franchise-is-special-71672767803456.html

I think the sale is going to happen eventually. This is just a temporary stop to keep them from creating a monopoly. But I think at some point, Microsoft deep pockets will get them their win. 

It's Europe that's actually putting a stop to this.