Register Now
BangEm

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty......Giving Nioh Vibes

This game looks amazing, giving off a little Nioh vibes but overall it looks very promising. Can't find any information on what frame rate it will run at on the PS5 though...

Game Blurb
A new dark fantasy Three Kingdoms action RPG from Team NINJA, the developers of Nioh.

184 AD, Later Han Dynasty China. The land is overcome by chaos and destruction. The imperial dynasty that prospered for many years is now about to collapse.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty is a dramatic, action-packed story of a nameless militia soldier fighting for survival in a dark fantasy version of the Later Han Dynasty where demons plague the Three Kingdoms. Players fight off deadly creatures and enemy soldiers using swordplay based on the Chinese martial arts, attempting to overcome the odds by awakening the true power from within.

Wo Long refers to a crouching dragon, and also refers to a hero or person of greatness who is not yet known. This is the story of officers, who will later become heroes, during their ‘unknown’ period, and also the story of a protagonist’s rise from being a ‘nobody’.

As described in more detail here, my experience with Nioh was brief and terrible. First, I could barely get the game to run because of a glitch with the resolution compatibility, so it took me an hour just to even get started. Worse, I only ended quitting on the game completely after about 10 minutes because another bug displayed the controller UI when I was using M/K (I didn't even have a controller plugged in, so it made no sense.) and game killed me while I was in the settings trying to fix it. And this was years after the game launched, so there is absolutely no excuse for this. I already hate the "From Software" ideology with the sluggish melee combat and cryptic, "trial and error" approach to difficulty, but I would have at least given the game a fair chance if it didn't copy what is by far that philosophy's most stupid aspect.

Seriously, who do these games and dev's think they are to be so arrogant as to not allow such a basic feature of convenance as the pause function? It's like the game is penalising you for being a human being will inevitably need to use the toilet or eat something eventually, not to mention more life priorities like answering the phone, answering the door or your child walking in with tears in thier eye and one of thier arms missing. "Sorry son, you're going to half to walk to the hospital. According to team NINJA, Nioh takes priory.". There is no force in heaven, on earth, or residing in the fiery pits of with by far the music of the music of three that can convince me that this is anything other than fucking stupid.

Now obviously, there are time when games not allowing a pause or anything to disrupt the real time of the game world makes sense, mostly refering to sustained multiplayer worlds like MMO's, Fortnite, COD multiplayer and so on, but I will always see this as serious flaw in a single player game. The fact they implement it on purpose doesn't justify it, it only makes it worse and the dev's even more wanting of common sense.

Anyway, I apologise  for the rant, it's over now. I'll finally get to the topic. I have had my eye on this as a Day 1 Gamepass launch, but my heart sank when I saw who was behind it as I have never had a good experience with these "Soulsborne" games (With the possible expectation of Jedi: Fallen Order, if that counts). So I'll wait and see with this one, even though I'm don't exactly trust other people's opinions on these types of games. I want to be wrong, I want to enjoy these games, but I find them tedious and frustrating. It's not like I don't enjoy challenging games, Horizon Zero Dawn/Forbidden West on Ultra Hard are amongst my favourite gaming experiences, I just hate the way that "Soulsborne" games go about it. But rather than break out into another rant, I'll just say please share what you think of the game when it comes and I'll see if it's it's worth playing for me.

Edited by Shagger

3 hours ago, Shagger said:

As described in more detail here, my experience with Nioh was brief and terrible. First, I could barely get the game to run because of a glitch with the resolution compatibility, so it took me an hour just to even get started. Worse, I only ended quitting on the game completely after about 10 minutes because another bug displayed the controller UI when I was using M/K (I didn't even have a controller plugged in, so it made no sense.) and game killed me while I was in the settings trying to fix it. And this was years after the game launched, so there is absolutely no excuse for this. I already have the "From Software" ideology with the sluggish melee combat and cryptic, "trial and error" approach to difficulty, but I would have at least given the game a fair chance if it didn't copy what is by fat that philosophy's most stupid aspect.

Seriously, who do these games and dev's think they are to be so arrogant as to not allow such a basic feature of convenance as the pause function? It's like the game is penalising you for being a human being will inevitably need to use the toilet or eat something eventually, not to mention more life priorities like answering the phone, answering the door or your child walking in with tears in thier eye and one of thier arms missing. "Sorry son, you're going to half to walk to the hospital. According to team NINJA, Nioh takes priory.". There is no force in heaven, on earth, or residing in the fiery pits of with by far the music of the music of three that can convince me that this is anything other than fucking stupid.

Now obviously, there are time when games not allowing a pause or anything to disrupt the real time of the game world makes sense, mostly reefing to sustained multiplayer worlds like MMO's, Fortnite, COD multiplayer and so on, but I will always see this as serious flaw in a single player game. The fact they implement it on purpose doesn't justify it, it only makes it worse and the dev's even more wanting of common sense.

Anyway, I apologise  for the rant, it's over now. I'll finally get to the topic. I have had my eye on this as a Day 1 Gamepass launch, but my heart sank when I saw who was behind it as I have never had a good experience with these "Soulsborne" games (With the possible expectation of Jedi: Fallen Order, if that counts). So I'll wait and see with this one, even though I'm don't exactly trust other people's opinions on these types of games. I want to be wrong, I want to enjoy these games, but I find them tedious and frustrating. It's not like I don't enjoy challenging games, Horizon Zero Dawn/Forbidden West on Ultra Hard are amongst my favourite gaming experiences, I just hate the way that "Soulsborne" games go about it. But rather than break out into another rant, I'll just say please share what you think of the game when it comes and I'll see if it's it's worth playing for me.

Looks like i inadvertently brought up some past trauma lol

i understand your gripes and i've had the exact same reservations but worry is it will play like a soulsgame and suck the life out of you literally when playing it. thankfully they have a demo on the PSN store which i will be trialling tonight. hopefully that will quell all of the the bad press i have been reading and sell the game to me a little bit more.

I wanted to try out Nioh myself, but I feared I wouldn't be able to handle the difficulty of it, and if this is much of the same I assume I probably won't be touching this either. Not saying it's a bad game by any means, I'm sure both of these games are awesome, I just don't have the patience anymore for overly tough games. It's why I rarely touch stuff like Dark Souls, as I just don't have the patience for it.

It's funny how people compare this game with Sekiro. On the one hand you have a golden treasure one of the best games of all time with the best combat ever created and an awesome art direction and music (Sekiro) and on the other hand (this game) you have a luckluster effort with dogshit level design, terrible art direction/graphics and bad bosses

Ok i may have to backtrack somewhat, so last night i realised i had downloaded the PS4 version rather than the PS5 version. at first when i played the demo a few days ago i was unimpressed, the graphics were lackluster, frame rate was poor and the game was super difficult. fast forward to yesterday, found the correct version, downloaded it and set it to performance mode....boy does this game run smooth on the PS5. 

its one of those games that is frustratingly good, the difficulty is exactly that...hard...like really hard and every boss battle is a super grind. day one cop? nahh  i think i will wait a while for my games backlog to dry up before i consider this title.

the lore and the overall story seems to flow pretty well also 

but look at me trying to give a comprehensive breakdown of a game that i haven't even fully played lol