Register Now
Kane99

You Could Brick The Nintendo Wii U Just For Not Using It

Well, maybe it's time you guys booted up your old Wii U consoles, as there is a new report coming out saying that there is an issue with Wii U consoles that are left off for a long period of time. It's being said to be a memory issue, specifically a NAND corruption issue. It is being said that if this happens, the console is pretty much bricked and unusable. And according to the article, there doesn't seem to be a fix for it. And of course, Nintendo no longer repairs Wii U consoles. 

So, what can gamers do when it comes to this? I don't have a Wii U, but I know people who do and I am curious now to know if they have any issues botting their consoles up. 

Read more about this news below: 

https://exputer.com/news/wii-u-memory-error-long-period/

There's almost always a place that repairs consoles somewhere that isn't too terribly far away. We have several around here, but I personally tend to do my own work, unless it's something that is beyond my means. I repair a lot more controllers than consoles. But I have done both in the past.

GameStop can usually point you in the right direction towards a place that repairs consoles.

I mean, you can find plenty of places to repair one so it's not that big of a deal. This is minor compared to Samsung devices' batteries swelling up over time from not using the devices and they can even explode in some cases (the older ones - pre 2020).

On 3/7/2023 at 6:01 AM, The Blackangel said:

There's almost always a place that repairs consoles somewhere that isn't too terribly far away. We have several around here, but I personally tend to do my own work, unless it's something that is beyond my means. I repair a lot more controllers than consoles. But I have done both in the past.

GameStop can usually point you in the right direction towards a place that repairs consoles.

On 3/8/2023 at 4:23 PM, killamch89 said:

I mean, you can find plenty of places to repair one so it's not that big of a deal. This is minor compared to Samsung devices' batteries swelling up over time from not using the devices and they can even explode in some cases (the older ones - pre 2020).

Yeah I'm sure there are places or people out there who can fix it. But it seems to be a very precise problem that needs to be fixed fast. Supposedly you need to flash the chip with a previous flash data or whatever, idk how to explain it, but the article goes more into details why this is a hard thing to fix. 

The only people that are capable are people who worked for Nintendo repairing said consoles, or you'll need to go to someone else who knows how to fix the Wii U. 

I wonder how hard it would be to find someone who can fix this exact problem. 

On 3/10/2023 at 1:33 PM, Kane99 said:

Yeah I'm sure there are places or people out there who can fix it. But it seems to be a very precise problem that needs to be fixed fast. Supposedly you need to flash the chip with a previous flash data or whatever, idk how to explain it, but the article goes more into details why this is a hard thing to fix. 

The only people that are capable are people who worked for Nintendo repairing said consoles, or you'll need to go to someone else who knows how to fix the Wii U. 

I wonder how hard it would be to find someone who can fix this exact problem. 

There's quite a few stores around my area that still work the Wii and Wii U consoles so maybe you just need to find a local store.

I don't have a Wii U anymore myself as we ended up selling it not too long after we got it as we were not that interested in it after a while and thought it was a flop from Nintendo. For anyone who does have one though, I am sure there will be places that they can take it to for it to be repaired for a fee. It's a shame that it ends up bricked though if sat doing nothing for a while.