Register Now
killamch89

Resident Evil 4 Remake Adds Dumb & Unnecessary Weapon Upgrade Microtransactions...

I've seen COD do something like this before and I find this distasteful - Capcom has been doing great with their releases recently but now they've gone and messed that up by adding some stupid microtransactions. They only did this a few weeks after release to avoid the backlash they'd receive had they launched with the game. I can't say I'm surprised because there was a report that a few years back, Capcom were going to add microtransactions to RE 7 but for whatever reason decided against it at the last minute. I was planning on getting the game but now I'm not so sure. What do you think of this dilemma?

I really can't put it better than James Stephanie Sterling does in this video.

What I find particularly bad about this is that they waited until the game had been out, got it's positive praise and review and now with those reviews on the internet forever and never to change, they add this shit in retroactively. As stated in the video, this is practically bad for people who know that are, for one reason or another, weak against these types of practices. What if, for example, games like FIFA and Madden were given adult rating because of thier lootbox mechanics(as they fucking should be), what would stop companies like that from releasing those games to get that E rating then adding thier microtransactions later. So what Capcom have done here is, at least in my opinion, worse that having these microtransaction in from the very beginning and Capcom should be ashamed of themselves. The regulators need to get on this kind if practice because it sets a very bad precedent.

On 4/11/2023 at 3:13 PM, Shagger said:

I really can't put it better than James Stephanie Sterling does in this video.

What I find particularly bad about this is that they waited until the game had been out, got it's positive praise and review and now with those reviews on the internet forever and never to change, they add this shit in retroactively. As stated in the video, this is practically bad for people who know that are, for one reason or another, weak against these types of practices. What if, for example, games like FIFA and Madden were given adult rating because of thier lootbox mechanics(as they fucking should be), what would stop companies like that from releasing those games to get that E rating then adding thier microtransactions later. So what Capcom have done here is, at least in my opinion, worse that having these microtransaction in from the very beginning and Capcom should be ashamed of themselves. The regulators need to get on this kind if practice because it sets a very bad precedent.

I know - it was an absolutely slimy move by Capcom and they should rightfully be bashed for it but the backlash I've heard is so timid. It seems like a great game otherwise and I expected as much given how well RE2 and RE3 remakes were. I've seen Activision pull this same kind of crap with COD over the past few years and their fanboys are extremely quiet.

Yeah. This is kind of low.

As someone who knows how seedy Capcom can be, don't be in any way shocked if you have to pay for the DLC story with Ada called Separate Ways when it eventually becomes available. That really annoyed people in 2005, because of the exclusivity "promise" Shinji Miami went back on.

At the time, he really didn't want the main game being released on anything besides the GameCube. Maybe that wasn't his fault, though.

Later on, the extra material was only available in the PS2 release, which had to be unlocked. Maybe that was Capcom's bright idea. Either way, he was none too thrilled that he had this happen.

It's sad he left his own studio months ago, as The Evil Within felt like it had potential. But I'll forever be grateful he made RE into such a big franchise. 

I can understand microtransactions being in games that are free as long as you are aware of what you are purchasing but games such as Call of Duty and even Resident Evil doing it for paid games is something I never understood and very much a cash grab for sure.

I think Capcom kind of redeemed themselves this year, with the RE4 remake being so good, being provided with DLC that was like a full length game, and the good animated film. If RE9 comes out in a few years and it ends up being as corny as 8 is though, I will be about done with the franchise.

The multiple plot threads are becoming too much. Like, who's the Family? Who is the Connections? Who runs the new Umbrella? Each time a new game comes out, Capcom just seems to introduce something new in terms of viruses or mould, and it becomes really confusing.

This seems like it's mostly for people who need their hand held through a game even on the easiest difficulty. I know someone like this and they will drop $20+ on microtransactions if they included something like unlimited ammo or 'super dumb easy' mode for a game like RE4.