Register Now
Shortie

Are you a fan of musical movies?

Something I was always brought up with was musicals and especially movies that were musicals as well. I loved watching movies such as 

Dirty Dancing
Oliver
My Fair Lady 
Mary Poppins
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

I still now from time to time enjoy watching movies that are also musicals as well.

Are you a fan of musical movies? Which ones have you seen? 

I like certain movies on occasion that are either musicals or feature a lot of music. In no particular order, some of my favorites are:

Cry Baby
Sweeney Todd
Phantom Of The Opera
Nightmare Before Xmas

Some can do it well, while others are so ear-bleedingly horrible that you want to bust your eardrums so you never have to be subjected to that horror again.

On 10/4/2023 at 12:22 PM, Knight Plug said:

Yep. Grease is the word. 🥳

There was actually a follow up around 1982, but it was not well received. 

Grease is an amazing musical. I have watched both Grease and Grease 2 and often get grief when I say that I much preferred Grease 2 between both movies 🙂

Have you seen both? 

I'm not a big fan of musicals. I don't mind the "Disney" approach whare what they're basically doing is braking up the story from time to time to add something entertaining and maybe try to establish some character traits through it, but when musicals actually try to use songs as exposition I just think it's a rather cumbersome and distracting way to tell a story. It can work if the songs were written and composed for the musical itself so they're made to tie in together. However, then there's the jukebox musicals like Mama Mia whare they're trying to shove the round songs into the square holes of the plot and REALLY doesn't work. Mamma Mia had other problems, like a plot devoid of all logic or anything relatable and it being a god-awfully boring waste of time, but at least the stage show would have properly trained performers who bring a sense of grandiose spectacular to ABBA's music even if the story was phoned in garbage. The movie was a who's who of pointless, middle-aged celebrities who can't sing!

I love broadway musicals, like Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Jesus Christ Superstar, etc. And I like the movie adaptations of these broadway hits also. 

I generally like musical movies also. When I was a kid I like Pirates of Penzance. Sweeney Todd is great, as is classics like Grease. 

The TV Show Scrubs had a musical episode. It was hilarious!

On 11/22/2023 at 7:18 PM, Shortie said:

Grease is an amazing musical. I have watched both Grease and Grease 2 and often get grief when I say that I much preferred Grease 2 between both movies 🙂

Have you seen both? 

I think I saw the second one once. My sister watched the original a lot, so I seen it numerous times.

John Travolta had a solo hit once that is not affiliated with any movie. It got to position 10 on Billboard.