Register Now
Kane99

How do you feel about walking simulators?

What are your thoughts on games that are just walking sims? Like Dear Ester, where you walk around a map or small world uncovering secrets and other story arcs as you go along. There usually is no combat or threats to worry about. I think Dear Ester was great for it's story, but I doubt I would ever replay it. 

Gone Home was another walking sim, this time where you're in a house unraveling a story about your family. In that game you go around doing puzzles, reading notes and uncovering the story of your sister. 

Virginia is another that comes to mind that I really liked. This one has you collecting evidence trying to investigate a missing persons case. 

I'd also say Layers of Fear is a walking simulator, but with a lot of horror elements. It's essentially a walking sim with jump scares. 

Walking sims can work, I do find some quite relaxing, but i feel they need to make the world I'm walking around in exciting at least. 

Simulator games involve more of cognitive exertion. You have to think well before you make your next move. You also have to be deeply involved if you would go far in the game. 
It can be boring sometimes, and not what I can play for long hours. Still I think something I would enjoy. 
“Myst” is an example, you are stuck on an Island and you need to solve a series of puzzles to escape. 

My biggest problem with "Walking Simulators" is when people call them that. In a "Role Playing Game" or "First Person Shooter" the term indicates in a clear, if somewhat vague, manner whare the core of the game and potential appeal lie. That's what a genre tag is supposed to do. Calling what I would describe as an "Interactive Narrative" as a "Walking Simulator" does nothing to indicate what the core appeal of such a game actually is. It's just derugetery and Innacurate.

Games like The Telltale Games, Life is Strange, Tell Me More, Until Dawn, Detroit: Become Human, Star Trek Resurgence and another fine game I discovered recently called Deliver Us Mars have niche appeal, but I am sick to death to Gamers™ looking down on people who enjoy them. There's nothing wrong with playing a video game to run around in mindless fun and blow shit up, but I'd prefer the company of somebody who wants to discuss the complex social issues addressed in Life is Strange rather than some hardcore COD bro.

Edited by Shagger

Walking sims can be a great way to experience a story without the distractions of combat or threats. Games like Dear Esther, Gone Home, Virginia, and Layers of Fear offer unique and immersive narratives. While they may not have replay value for everyone, they can be enjoyable and relaxing experiences when the world you're exploring is well-crafted and engaging.

Personally, I wouldn't call games like Dear Esther, Gone Home, Virginia, and Layers of Fear offer walking simulation games because they involve more than just walking in the game. It's more like an interactive exploring experience of gaming. Those games can be very relaxing to play. 

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

If all you're doing is just walking in a videogame, I don't really the see point of playing it. You'll likely lose interest pretty easily because it's so repetitive.

If it's just to walk from point to point without doing anything tangible for hours, probably it's definitely going to bore you out. It's when there's some kind of exploring and things to collect and interact with in the process, then it will be engaging.