Register Now
Kane99

Could we see more popular 80s & 90s media made into games?

With the recent Robocop: Rogue City game doing fairly good, it's made me wonder if we could expect more popular media from the 80s and 90s made into video games again. Do you think we could see some classics given new games? As an example, I'd be down for a game based on Highlander, as I don't think we ever had one, or if we did we haven't had one in quite a while. I heard there is talk of a movie, so maybe they'll make a game too. 

Are there any 80s or 90s shows, movies, or even books you'd like to see made into a video game?

Yes, it's possible to see more popular media from the 80s and 90s turned into video games. A game based on Highlander could be interesting, especially with a potential movie adaptation. Other possibilities could include games based on popular shows like The A-Team or movies like The Goonies.

It's possible, but for the most part, kids today wouldn't have a clue what the games came from. If any of you can tell me what a game called Alf, 21 Jumpstreet, or She-Ra got its roots from, WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP ONLINE, I would love to hear it.

On 1/7/2024 at 11:17 AM, The Blackangel said:

It's possible, but for the most part, kids today wouldn't have a clue what the games came from. If any of you can tell me what a game called Alf, 21 Jumpstreet, or She-Ra got its roots from, WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP ONLINE, I would love to hear it.

To be fair She-ra did get a reboot recently. Honestly I loved the reboot too, but I'm sure people who grew up with the original probably didn't care for it. (Like in my case I love Teen Titans but I do not like Teen Titans Go. Kids these days only know of the Teen Titans from Go.) They may know 21 Jumpstreet since there was a movie released not too long ago as well, but they probably don't know who Alf is. (I only know of Alf since my aunt had a poster of the character in her room when I was super young, this was in the early 90's. I was born in 1990 btw.) Either way it would be interesting to see more 80's and 90's franchises get reboots via video games. We could get a new Animaniacs game since the show got a reboot, we got some cool games back in the 90's when the show was originally airing. I know there's a new Rugrats game coming out sometime this year too, the reboot inspired a new game which I am looking forward to playing the game when it comes out since I loved the PS1 Rugrats games.

It’s possible, but highly unlikely. Our generation miss and have the nostalgia feeling for these sorts of titles. However kids these days wouldn’t know where the games came from and might even consider it a step backwards. There’s a very limited market.

On 1/19/2024 at 5:55 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I’ll tell you, the 2000’s and up generations really fucked up the 80’s-90’s. They have zero respect for the holy grail of classicism. 

This is absolutely how I call it and I can sure as hell tell you that they wouldn't care so much about any of those 80's or 90's shows, movies, or even books if they're made into a video game. I would say that they are wired differently from us. 

10 hours ago, Heatman said:

This is absolutely how I call it and I can sure as hell tell you that they wouldn't care so much about any of those 80's or 90's shows, movies, or even books if they're made into a video game. I would say that they are wired differently from us. 

You are 100% correct and insightful about other classic medium made into a game. It’s hard to pinpoint where they are wired differently. I think they are trying to please the masses so much that they forget about the foundations of simple fun. Just total…fuckin…simple….fun…