Register Now
Kane99

Will macs become as popular for gaming as windows PCs are?

Apple is putting in the work to make their macs more accessible when it comes to gaming. I don't know how well gaming is on a mac right now, but I know they've come a long way in recent years. Now they're making changes with macOS to include GameKit tools for users, and especially with macOS Sonoma now having a dedicated Gaming Mode for players. Playing those popular games on a mac is going to get a lot easier. 

Do you think mac can become one of the top dogs? Or will it just tag along the PC side? I think it's great they are trying to make macs more accessible for gaming. They've come a long way already. What are some things macs still need to do though to catch up? If there is anymore catching up to do that is. 

Here's an article about Apple and their work to make  - https://bgr.com/tech/apple-pulls-back-the-curtain-on-mac-gaming-plans-in-new-interview/

Edited by Kane99

It is possible that Macs could become more popular for gaming in the future, especially with the advancements in hardware and software compatibility. However, Windows PCs currently dominate the gaming market due to their wide range of hardware options, compatibility with gaming software, and established gaming communities.

I highly doubt it. Most games (at least that I come across) are scripted to run on a computer and not on a Mac. Games like Diablo and AoE can't run on a Mac. I know AoE was made by Microsoft, so that one may be a moot point. But that aside, there aren't many games compatible with the system because virtually no one uses a Mac. People prefer computers. Computers are compatible with pretty much everything. So I would bet my car that Mac is going to stay in the mobile phone market for the most part.

The M series of Macs are pretty powerful machines that can run most games with relative ease unlike earlier generations. We really have to give Apple some credit for finally making their machines at least powerful enough to run modern titles. I never thought that day would really come if I'm being completely honest.

I don't think so. I don't think anything will defeat Windows as the OS for PC gaming. I'd love to see a Linux distro come along and do this though but I think we're a long way out from that though. I don't think mac will ever be a truly viable option for PC gaming, especially when it comes to running older games from decades past. 

On 3/23/2024 at 1:00 PM, Smokey said:

I don't think so. I don't think anything will defeat Windows as the OS for PC gaming. I'd love to see a Linux distro come along and do this though but I think we're a long way out from that though. I don't think mac will ever be a truly viable option for PC gaming, especially when it comes to running older games from decades past. 

You'd be surprised how powerful current Macbooks and there's always a workaround for getting older games to work on any platform. I'm sure Mac has theirs.