Register Now
Debashis

How does the music contribute to the overall gaming experience?

Music is really important. I don't have soundtracks, but I do very often look up songs I hear in games and save them on youtube or even buy music from iTunes. I wish we can control a setting on how often we want to hear background music. Because sometimes when I play while exploring, the music will turn off and it's too quiet. And when the music starts playing, that's when the immersion kicks in pretty hard. Music can pump me up for battle, or put me in a trance in exploration. Creep up on an enemy with some tribal music playing, ready to snap a neck or stick their head on the wall with an arrow. A lot of times though, music gets in the way of commentary like in FF 15. I had to turn on subtitles because the music would be blaring while someone is saying something important and I have to reload a past save to know wtf they said. 

While the music is still important, it really depends on the video game. Sometimes the music is so loud, it distracts my focus from the main storyline or from what I’m wanting to do. Good job there’s an option to lower or disable all together

I once saw someone playing without the sound, I was surprised. I cannot play without feeding my ears with the accompanying sounds and music that comes from the game. And if I don’t vibe with the game sounds I play my own soundtracks. 

It's just not only in video games but generally, life without music is very boring. So, imagine how boring it's going to be when you're playing video games with the gaming music and soundtracks? I wouldn't want to play video games like that because I'm very sure that there's no way I would ever enjoy such games. 

18 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

I love a game with an epic music score/soundtrack. Music doesn't necessarily make or break a game, but it can sure enhance the experience.

Even though music doesn't necessarily make or break a game as you stated, but when your experience in a game is messed up because of one thing or another (music), the game have been broken for the gamer indirectly in my opinion. 

On 2/1/2024 at 12:21 PM, Heatman said:

Even though music doesn't necessarily make or break a game as you stated, but when your experience in a game is messed up because of one thing or another (music), the game have been broken for the gamer indirectly in my opinion. 

I will say that the game I am currently playing, the music is a tad loud, and it's hard to hear the dialogue. I'm gonna dive into the audio settings and see if I can't turn up the voices or turn down the score.

To me music is the third most important aspect of a game. I'd rather the game have a good soundtrack than good graphics. I also enjoy listening to video game music while browsing the internet and even while I'm cleaning. It really helps immerse you into the game, Tomb Raider is probably my favorite example of this. Music cues only play during certain moments in a level, sometimes it's used to warn you about upcoming danger, other times it's used to showcase the moment.

The music is like a secret sauce that makes the experience come to life. Imagine how you feel when you are blasting through hordes of enemies and the sound is there to make you feel like a badass. 
Music and sound heightens the emotional impact of the story and makes you more immersed.