Register Now
Kane99

What video game franchises have the most spin-offs?

I know the main one is probably Super Mario, the series has expanded out to many different genres, from Mario Kart, to Mario Tennis, Soccer, the Olympics even. Plus Mario Party, Paper Mario, Super Smash Brothers, Yoshi's Island, Toadstool games, etc. What other franchises are known to put out various spin-offs? Sonic has some spin-offs, no pun intended. What are some other franchises you know of that has done various kinds of spin-offs? 

There are so many games with many spin-offs. Games like Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed, Pokémon but the one which I believe that have too many spin-offs is going to be Final Fantasy. If you ever played Final Fantasy, you will know for certain that it's with countless spin-off. 

23 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I was going to say Mario as well. I've never seen a game with so many spinoffs. But since you already gave that one, the only other two I can think of would be Zelda and Sonic. They both have so many oddball entries in their franchise that it can't be said that they don't do any kind of spinoff.

You're right - remember Sonic schoolhouse? I have never owned or played the game but the fact that SEGA would make an educational game featuring Sonic is incredibly bizarre.

On 2/20/2024 at 8:08 PM, The Blackangel said:

I was going to say Mario as well. I've never seen a game with so many spinoffs. But since you already gave that one, the only other two I can think of would be Zelda and Sonic. They both have so many oddball entries in their franchise that it can't be said that they don't do any kind of spinoff.

Spot on mentioned Sonic. There's tons of spin-offs with the game too. I'm a sonic fan but there's no way I would be able to play them all. I recently joined a Sonic gaming forum, there are so many discussion on those spin-offs. 

On 2/24/2024 at 6:55 PM, The Blackangel said:

Either way, the king of all spin off games is and always will be the Super Mario franchise. Nothing can touch it. There's no question in my mind to that.

I totally agree - nothing else comes close. Mario has a game for every genre.

Sonic comes close to Mario in terms of spin offs but Mario definitely has the most. There was going to be an even earlier educational Sonic game called Sonic Edusoft for the Sega Master System but it got canceled. There's a prototype of the game online though. There's also a few Sega Pico titles that are educational too, Tails and the Music Maker along with Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld. (Though the Pico was targeted young toddlers, in fact I was the demographic for the console when it was released since it came out when I was 4 lol.) So the thought of educational Sonic games isn't too bizarre. You've also got the Leapster Sonic game too, and that's a educational handheld. I think Mario only has one educational game? I could be wrong about that.

No doubt RE is one. But to be honest, I tire of hearing about so many remakes of these ancient games. They tend to chop and change too much about them anyway, which just feels disappointing. 

The RE3 remake was especially bad. Nemesis is just terrible in the game. They removed the clock tower, Barry, the dead factory, and some enemy types were left out of the 2020 dreadmake.

I would rather get new games for a console I paid hundreds of pounds for, instead of Capcom milking the series for nostalgia. 

https://screenrant.com/resident-evil-remakes-re5-re6/