Jump to content
Register Now
Kane99

Activision opens up new studio called Elsewhere Entertainment

Recommended Posts

Activision has opened up a new studio in Poland called Elsewhere Entertainment. Their intent is to make narrative driven/ genre defying AAA franchises, and thankfully it won't have anything to do with COD. The studio has talent who were involved in games like The Last of Us, Uncharted, The Witcher, Cyberpunk, Destiny, The Division, and Far Cry. So you got a wide array of talent here. On the plus side, they're also looking to bring in more developers. 

It's kind of good news with all the recent layoffs and closures going on. Even though Activision Blizzard had layoffs recently, same with Xbox and I believe a few other studios/companies did too. And you can't forget Microsoft outright closing down studios as of late. I hope with this, we see some more studios pop up. Hopefully from Microsoft's side, and hopefully bringing in the many who were laid off this past year. 

Source:

https://www.ign.com/articles/activision-opens-new-studio-tasked-with-creating-narrative-based-aaa-franchise

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not getting too thrilled because Microsoft has a habit of starting new ventures only to close them down within 2 years just like Google. These idiots bought up a whole bunch of gaming studios and can't afford to maintain most of them. Why am I not surprised?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2024 at 12:50 AM, killamch89 said:

I'm not getting too thrilled because Microsoft has a habit of starting new ventures only to close them down within 2 years just like Google. These idiots bought up a whole bunch of gaming studios and can't afford to maintain most of them. Why am I not surprised?

 

This is the problem. I am just not being too pessimistic, but I hope the new studio will go on to become a success that can last for many years to come. That is the only way I can begin to feel about it. Aside from that, I wouldn't want to be that excited at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 5:45 PM, Bilita said:

Didn't they literally just close other studios?  

This is what happens when you become a publicly traded company 

 

Yes they did, more specifically Arkane Austin, Tango Gameworks, Alpha Dog Games, and Roundhouse Games.  I'd like to think due to the timing that Activision folded those studios into this new studio so those people are still employed, but given how this new studio boasts talent from Naughty Dog, Ubisoft and CDPR, that doesn't seem to be the case.  It looks to me that those four relatively small studios have had the shutters drawn on them to fund this new studio, which is pretty appalling on Activation's part.  Not that I'm surprised, Activision are a bucket of scum.

 

The silver lining is that the focus of this new studio Elsewhere Entertainment will be on narrative games instead of the "live service" snake oil major publishers have been so desperately peddling the last few years.  I'm sure Elsewhere Entertainment will make good games, but there will always be a bitter aftertaste to them.  Like a baby with a birth defect, you love it all the same, but always regret it had to begin the way it did.

Edited by Shagger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bilita said:

Didn't they literally just close other studios?  

This is what happens when you become a publicly traded company 

Yup - Microsoft has been acquiring studios non-stop for the last five years and then came to the realization that they can't really maintain them all so they started to cull the workforce.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you see Microsoft close other studios down and then proceed to open up more, you do start to wonder whether or not these studios will be around for long. 

I don't have high hopes for this studio, I guess the big question is, how long before they close it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2024 at 11:10 AM, Shortie said:

When you see Microsoft close other studios down and then proceed to open up more, you do start to wonder whether or not these studios will be around for long. 

I don't have high hopes for this studio, I guess the big question is, how long before they close it?

Give it two years and no major hits and it'll be in the Microsoft graveyard of fails along with the multitude of other colossal failures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I'm not really getting too hyped about Elsewhere Entertainment just yet. It could be a failed project too.  Look at Google buying gaming studios and they couldn't even manage them well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Lens said:

Personally I'm not really getting too hyped about Elsewhere Entertainment just yet. It could be a failed project too.  Look at Google buying gaming studios and they couldn't even manage them well.

It's Microsoft in this case but the point still stands, it's likely to be another failed venture by Activision under the Xbox franchise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is an exciting news and I love the fact that Elsewhere Entertainment is focusing on what gaming needs more. And I also like the fact that they're are planning to bring in more developers. That sounds great to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2024 at 12:44 AM, killamch89 said:

Give it two years and no major hits and it'll be in the Microsoft graveyard of fails along with the multitude of other colossal failures.

I have to agree with you on the two years, seems about right for Microsoft which is a shame. I am all for trial and error but when it's something like this and many lose their jobs when they choose to close them, it doesn't seem fair. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2024 at 7:09 PM, Shortie said:

I have to agree with you on the two years, seems about right for Microsoft which is a shame. I am all for trial and error but when it's something like this and many lose their jobs when they choose to close them, it doesn't seem fair. 

I understand your concerns but Microsoft is a big name and it has learned from those experiences, especially from the failed project. Let's hope they gets it right this time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Lens said:

I understand your concerns but Microsoft is a big name and it has learned from those experiences, especially from the failed project. Let's hope they gets it right this time.

We can only hope they do get it right this time, if they don't I fear their reputation will be very much shattered and that would be bad for a company like Microsoft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...