Register Now
DylanC

What are your favourite indie games of all-time?

Hades keeps popping up in these lists i really should make work of a picking up a physical copy, i keep forgetting about.

You know were do you draw a line between indie game and regulair release, there are a ton of smaller "indie" releases that get a worldwide retail release that end up selling extremly both physical and digital, do you still consider those indie releases despite there success? Take the duo Unravel games or A way out for example those got published by Ea can they still by considered indie games? Technically minecraft is still an indie release despite it being the best selling game of all time according to the internet. 

Despite all this i'm kinda curious where you guys/gals would drawn the line between indie and regulair game, if you feel like responding please do.

Obviously of the ones i consider indie games my favourite would obviously be Stardew valley but here are 3 others i feel like may be worth your time, all games got physical retail releases if you're interested in that and i'm fairly certain you can pick them up for cheap both digital and physical :

My Time at Portia -> Nevermind what the critics say this is the next best thing after stardew valley, instead of farming you are a builder and over the course of the game you help out getting the town bigger and expanding the map. It has many likeable characters, their is a ton to do in the game well the obvious stuff you do in life simulation game. It has a surpising large map for this kind off game and you know it's a game you can easily put over 150 hours into and not even get close to the ending.

Ken Follett's The pillars of the earth -> I never see this one being brought up like ever it's based on a novel and no i haven't read it so can't say much about it, don't even know if you can classify it as an indie game but what the heck. It's a heavy story driven game were you start out playing as a young boy jack, a monk called phillip, and a girl who was the daughter of a lord but got stripped of all her wealth. It takes place in the 12th century in a little english village, i won't spoil the story but the really cool thing about this game it takes place a period of 30 years and you gradually see the characters maturing or aging, it's full of conspiracies and twists. The game itself has beautiful handdrawn graphics and the game itself is a mix between a visual novel and point and click game. I highly recommend giving this one a try, the voice acting may be a little off but if you enjoy a deep story with likeable characters check it out. 

11-11 Memories Retold -> Again is it an indie game as it's published by Bandai Namco. Yet again another heavy driven story game that goes deep trough your soul and you know it made me look different at war. You play as german soldier Kurt who's son is missing in action and Canadian soldier Harry who wants to impress his girlfriend by fighting in europe both at the near the end of world war 1. But my god while there isen't a whole lot gameplay wise, story wise this is an emotional rollercoaster that sort off makes you have a different outlook at war at both sides of world war 1. 

I would have liked to include Disco Elysium - The Final Cut as it stands now it's one of the best games i have played in recent years but i have yet to finish the game and it would be unfair to include something i haven't finished yet.

Here i was trying to keep it brief ohwell thanks if you read it all the way trough.

Edited by Yaramaki

23 hours ago, Clasher said:

Hades 2018 would be my favorite indie game, judging from the ones I have played.

To be fair, I probably played this game once or twice and it was extremely popular amongst our members back then. It's an amazing game in terms of graphics and gameplay.

10 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

To be fair, I probably played this game once or twice and it was extremely popular amongst our members back then. It's an amazing game in terms of graphics and gameplay.

Seems the game didn't suit your interest that's why you didn't play much of it.

Back in 2018 and half of 2019  I was always playing this Game . It's graphics , gameplay and performance were good the storyline also spiced it up.

Just now, Clasher said:

Seems the game didn't suit your interest that's why you didn't play much of it.

Back in 2018 and half of 2019  I was always playing this Game . It's graphics , gameplay and performance were good the storyline also spiced it up.

It's one of those games that just got lost in the large catalogue of games I wanted to play/finish. It's not the only great game I've played that has suffered that fate 🤣

5 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

It's one of those games that just got lost in the large catalogue of games I wanted to play/finish. It's not the only great game I've played that has suffered that fate 🤣

This is a very common thing that happens especially when you have so much to play. It would get to the point where you would even not know where to start from. At one point that happened to me, I had to start using recommendations to play instead of choosing for myself. 

12 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

This happens to most of us really, like i still haven't completed Hitman 3 since 2021 I remembered it today because I came across it in my catalogue today when I was trying to play Dying light 2 stay human. Lol

Things like this just happen if you are a gamer and always looking out for new games to explore some just get lost in the process.

23 minutes ago, Clasher said:

This happens to most of us really, like i still haven't completed Hitman 3 since 2021 I remembered it today because I came across it in my catalogue today when I was trying to play Dying light 2 stay human. Lol

Things like this just happen if you are a gamer and always looking out for new games to explore some just get lost in the process.

It's true - I have a whole lot of games I've bought on Steam that still haven't gotten around to playing such as Mad Max for instance and I've had that game since 2015!

There really isn't any commonality in Indie games where it's easy to distinguish from bigger titles. I had to do a search to see what games I've played and really liked that are Indie. My top ones that I found are Indie are Layers of Fear, The Walking Dead, and Mad Max. The Walking Dead has a really traumatic story. Layers of Fear is highly creative and Bloober Team is hands down brilliant. I want to play all their games. Mad Max is an underrated game which I've found to be pretty fun. 

I think Volition is an Indie developer so correct me if I'm wrong. But the Saints Row series is max fun that will make grandmas do flips. 

12 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

It's true - I have a whole lot of games I've bought on Steam that still haven't gotten around to playing such as Mad Max for instance and I've had that game since 2015!

How could you do that to Mad Max that is such a good game.

I know we do get Carried away at times by other games but there are some games that are so good that I can't help but complete the game.

Mad Max, Blood Borne, red dead redemption , Elden ring , call of duty are all included I just can't play them half way no matter the circumstance.

Just take a look at this gameplay triller of mad Max once again mate.

9 hours ago, Clasher said:

How could you do that to Mad Max that is such a good game.

I know we do get Carried away at times by other games but there are some games that are so good that I can't help but complete the game.

Mad Max, Blood Borne, red dead redemption , Elden ring , call of duty are all included I just can't play them half way no matter the circumstance.

Just take a look at this gameplay triller of mad Max once again mate.

Can we please stick to the topic for once  this thread is about indie games, the games you list above aren't really indie games now are they or maybe we live in a different world and i'm missing something i don't know, just open up new thread if you want to talk about your backlog or use the search function i'm sure there is one around. 

Thanks in advance for your cooperation

7 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Can we please stick to the topic for once  this thread is about indie games, the games you list above aren't really indie games now are they or maybe we live in a different world and i'm missing something i don't know, just open up new thread if you want to talk about your backlog or use the search function i'm sure there is one around. 

Thanks in advance for your cooperation

Alright @Yaramaki

sorry for the deviation I just couldn't hold that thought.

I haven't played "What Remains of Edith Finch" and it was recommended to me by my old friend whom we all grew up together. I'm not sure if it's that's interesting for me to fork out $19.99 to get it. 

Have anyone played the game here? Please let me have your personal opinion on it.