Register Now
Aimee Hart

Fortnite: is it really that good?

I've always had a really weird relationship with Fortnite. I've played it with friends and really enjoyed it, but I'm still often left feeling as though I simply just don't understand why it is as popular as it is. I've played it and liked it, but I don't see why it's so popular. What do you guys think?

I'm not a fan of playing Fortnite on my own. Almost all of my Fortnite sessions are with my friends while drinking at 3am, but I guess that could make any game fun as hell to play. I do understand Fortnite's popularity, however.

It has mass appeal.

Fortnite is aimed at 12+, the demographic which of course has the most free time to spend on gaming addictions, and the most money to spend on microtransactions (no bills to pay and all the pocket money in the world). Of course, the rise of streaming has almost exactly paralleled the rise of Fortnite. Those such as Myth, Ninja and other large streamers have created an audience for Fortnite larger than any other title right now. Word of mouth has clearly been a huge factor too - Drake even played it, and you know how popular he is.

I could elaborate more on what I think has also contributed to Fortnite's success, such as its very frequent updates, availability on all platforms, and joining the Battle Royale genre at the perfect time, but this post would be too long. 

Edited by Ben

I don't believe that Fortnite is THAT good but I can't deny that Epic made some pretty good choices. The ever changing map, the battle pass, the frequent new content and modes. All those make Fortnite a service that other franchises should be jealous of.

Personally, I started playing Fortnite when it released on Nintendo Switch and it's been a good time playing it ever since. I'm glad to see Fortnite reigning over PUBG which is nothing but a money grabbing title, with net code issues and unstable gameplay. Can't wait to see where Fortnite will be in a year from now.

Personally, I don't like Fortnite. There are a lot of reasons for that but the main one is the building element in the game. If I play Battle Royale I would prefer to focus on killing players not building. I also don't like the graphics for that genre. I think that I can say I'm a Players' Unknown Battlegrounds fan. There you can hide in the buildings and just shoot at people.

Edited by Keranov

On 9/16/2018 at 7:09 PM, DylanC said:

Downloaded it and I played it for about an hour or so and enjoyed my time with it. Then I deleted it and probably won't touch it again. I can understand its appeal but I don't think it's for me. 

This was exactly my brother's experience with playing Fortnite. He was like is this what all the fuss about Fortnite was all about. It was like he was actually disappointed.