Register Now
StaceyPowers

Visual novels

7 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I’ve never played a visual novel before, and don’t even entirely know what the genre is. Does anyone here play visual novels, and if so, which do you recommend on any system?

We are exactly in the same shoe my friend. I have no idea what it's all about and from the looks of it, I'm not sure if I'm going to be bothered about it because I still have so many I haven't played which are already in my possession. 

1 hour ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

What's visual novel? Like bubble messages? Or like a fairy tale story such as Wolf Among Us? 

The most famous example of a visual novel would probably be Doki Doki Literature Club. The idea is a forum of interactive narrative whare players read text matched with images in the background to tell the story. Sometimes the characters are voiced and sometimes they re not and there often music as well. Think of it like a digital picture book. Usually the outcome of the story is determined by player choice. The quality of a visual novel is dependent on the artwork and the how good the narrative itself actually is.

7 minutes ago, Shagger said:

The most famous example of a visual novel would probably be Doki Doki Literature Club. The idea is a forum of interactive narrative whare players read text matched with images in the background to tell the story. Sometimes the characters are voiced and sometimes they re not and there often music as well. Think of it like a digital picture book. Usually the outcome of the story is determined by player choice. The quality of a visual novel is dependent on the artwork and the how good the narrative itself actually is.

That actually is interesting to me. It's like a new era of graphic novels; I can imagine how GI Joe or Zenescope's Grimm Fairy Tales would be like as I love those graphic novels. Without going full blown animated, they could add some cool effects to it. I'd definitely buy if they had something like that available. 

2 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

That actually is interesting to me. It's like a new era of graphic novels; I can imagine how GI Joe or Zenescope's Grimm Fairy Tales would be like as I love those graphic novels. Without going full blown animated, they could add some cool effects to it. I'd definitely buy if they had something like that available. 

Well, Doki Doki Literature Club is free to play, so if there's a good place to start, it's there.

16 hours ago, Shagger said:

Well, Doki Doki Literature Club is free to play, so if there's a good place to start, it's there.

I have just looked up the reviews about Doki Doki Literature Club and it seems great. I might probably be giving it a try.