Register Now
Alexander.

Cleaning

15 hours ago, xXInfectedXx said:

What methods do you use to clean your Laptop? Exactly which is the safest way to clean an electrical appliance in your opinion? 

How do you go about cleaning your Keyboard? 

Thank you! 

I use a can of air to spray away dust particles and other stuff and I use a dry cloth to wipe away any remnants and as far as I am aware, that is the safest route I know.

12 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I use a can of air to spray away dust particles and other stuff and I use a dry cloth to wipe away any remnants and as far as I am aware, that is the safest route I know.

I am good with screwdrivers and yet I am so scared to clean my own goddamned PC components.

Because that's what a good PC builder does.

7 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

I am good with screwdrivers and yet I am so scared to clean my own goddamned PC components.

I can relate to that. I don’t have a hard time taking things apart and putting them back together, but I’m dreadfully afraid of screwing something up with static cling. There was also the time I used a screwdriver I had no idea was magnetized …

9 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

I'm afraid of putting ANY liquid near any of my PCs.

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

I can relate to that. I don’t have a hard time taking things apart and putting them back together, but I’m dreadfully afraid of screwing something up with static cling. There was also the time I used a screwdriver I had no idea was magnetized …

You need to ground yourself when before any computer/console up with a screwdriver to prevent the static from building up.

There are some liquid cleaners that can be used for the cleaning. I have seen that to be working out for some of the surface. Not all devices and appliances can be cleaned with it though. I'd say also the vaccum cleaner helps a lot when cleaning small areas. 

7 minutes ago, skyfire said:

There are some liquid cleaners that can be used for the cleaning. I have seen that to be working out for some of the surface. Not all devices and appliances can be cleaned with it though. I'd say also the vaccum cleaner helps a lot when cleaning small areas. 

Never thought about using a vacuum cleaner before but liquid cleaners are a no-no for me.

21 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'm afraid of putting ANY liquid near any of my PCs.

You need to ground yourself when before any computer/console up with a screwdriver to prevent the static from building up.

Liquid near PCs terrifies me as well. 

How do I ground myself?

18 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

How do I ground myself?

I have seen someone electrocuted as a result of taking water rag near his electronics set, ever since that very day no water nears my playing set when it's on. 

1 minute ago, Heatman said:

I have seen someone electrocuted as a result of taking water rag near his electronics set, ever since that very day no water nears my playing set when it's on. 

I spilled beverages on my keyboard of my first computer twice, and it was never the same after either event.

The really sad part is that it still outlived every laptop I've owned since by double, despite keeping fluids far, far away from them. They make things to break so fast nowadays.

3 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

How do I ground myself?

Use an anti-static wristband with the clip and clip it to your PC case. Do NOT buy the wireless ones because they are a scam and make sure to touch your computer case every few minutes.

3 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I spilled beverages on my keyboard of my first computer twice, and it was never the same after either event.

The really sad part is that it still outlived every laptop I've owned since by double, despite keeping fluids far, far away from them. They make things to break so fast nowadays.

Laptops nowadays are made with cheap components so I don't expect them to last that long either.

19 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Use an anti-static wristband with the clip and clip it to your PC case. Do NOT buy the wireless ones because they are a scam and make sure to touch your computer case every few minutes.

Laptops nowadays are made with cheap components so I don't expect them to last that long either.

Ohhh, I used to have one of those ages ago! I remember now. Thanks!

Laptop these days can't stand much dust. And they are designing it to be pretty less rigid. So anything like dust and few drops can damage the laptop. I think on that note I'd say that cleaning it with small vacuum cleaner and also using it on the table or strong surface makes sense. 

2 hours ago, skyfire said:

Laptop these days can't stand much dust. And they are designing it to be pretty less rigid. So anything like dust and few drops can damage the laptop. I think on that note I'd say that cleaning it with small vacuum cleaner and also using it on the table or strong surface makes sense. 

@skyfire @killamch89 Wouldn't cleaning a laptop with a vacuum cleaner have the potential to generate damaging static electricity? It seems so ... uncontrolled.