Register Now
StaceyPowers

What accessibility features would you like to see in gaming?

Accessibility in video games has become a major topic of discussion over the past week thanks to the debate about difficulty modes spurred by the release of Sekiro.

I think that the difficulty mode debate comprises a number of different topics, but it definitely does lend to discussions about accessibility features.

A number of members have checked in on this thread I created for disabled gamers.

So I thought I would create another thread on this topic.

Whether you are disabled or not, what features would you like to see added to games and/or consoles and controls to provide more accessibility?

@The Blackangel @LadyDay @killamch89 @kingpotato Tagging you because you replied on the other thread I linked.

Here are some features that I might wish for:

• Full and permanent logging of discussions with characters (DA does well with this, other games do not). I often miss key snippets of dialogue in games because my brain is busy making connections and/or hasn't task-switched yet.
  • Full mapping for controls for as many games as possible.
  • Lightweight VR headsets.
  • I love that I can propel my horse forward in RDR by clicking X repeatedly instead of holding the joystick forward. This is easier on my neck and shoulders. I'd love something like that for moving forward in other games.

What would you like to see?

I assume you're talking about online gaming, but since I don't play online games, I don't know what I could offer on this topic. I've tried the online thing a few times, and absolutely hated it every time. So like I said, I can't really offer much to this conversation.

Edited by The Blackangel

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I assume you're talking about online gaming, but since I don't play online games, I don't know what I could offer on this topic. I've tried the online thing a few times, and absolutely hated it every time. So like I said, I can't really offer much to this conversation.

Actually, I wasn't thinking of multiplayer at all, since I also don't play online games. I mean accessibility features that would make the types of games you usually play easier. Like for example, when talking to an NPC in pretty much any game at all (i.e. Skyrim, Fallout, RDR, whatever), I usually miss whole portions of their dialogue because my brain is busy making connections or hasn't task-switched yet. I always wish that every game recorded all of this in a readable log format so I can just look up what I missed.

Ah I get what you're saying. I think a few hints at some thing would be a good idea. There are some games with things in it that are so well hidden that without a players guide, you would very possibly never know of their existence. Even after playing the games for years, and wondering what the hell that blank spot is for, you just can't figure it out. Once again I'm gonna draw from FF8 for this one. Without a players guide, who here thinks they could have found the GF's Doomtrain, Eden, Bahamut, Tonberry, and Diablos? Possibly even Brothers? Did you pick up at any point the connection between Squall and Laguna? How about Rinoa and Julia? If you miss one specific key conversation at precisely the correct time at the beginning of the game on disc 1, you don't have another chance to get Diablos until the end of the game on disc 4. Hell the first 2 or 3 times I played the game, I didn't realize that there are 2 free GF's that you can get if you just turn on your study panel in the class room. Turn it on, click tutorial, and boom! You have Quezacotl and Shiva. Not exactly the most cryptic or well hidden secret, but how many first time players are actually gonna go to their study panel? It's a class room. What are they gonna study? Algebra? Pass.

I know some friends who have hearing problem. So I think in case of those friends, who like to play game, we need some sort of gaming AI, that alerts people of danger in case of the survival games. That way they can have respective response towards the enemy in the game. I know it's kind of in depth feature something I would want to only recommend to game developers.