Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games with good mission/quest variety

When playing open world games in particular, players commonly complain about the lack of mission or quest variety. A good example is Skyrim, which is a fabulous game—but which has quite a few repetitious quests and experiences.

What are some games that do well in this regard? So far I have been impressed with the variety in RDR’s missions.

@StaceyPowers You knew this was coming. It's almost like you baited me.😉 Final Fantasy 8. It has great quests and side quests, also if you want to stop at pretty much any random point and power up your characters, you can do that as well. Right now for example I'm at the end of disc 2 getting ready to go into Galbadia Garden. but I stopped to play Triple Triad to get some cards so I could mod them into items I needed so I could improve everyone's weapons. I'm also just running back and forth on the Hasberry Plains beach killing Fastitocalon-F's and Adamantoise's to collect AP to learn a few abilities. I have the first 9 GF's, and I'm going to be collecting 2 more when I get to Galbadia Garden. I play and replay this game hundreds of times a year. I can't say definitely for sure, but I think this is most likely my absolute favorite game ever. There's only one reason I can't give 100% yes on that: Zelda. If it wasn't for Zelda, then I could say that FF8 is my absolute favorite game.

Edited by The Blackangel

Skyrim has a lot of quest variety which involves raiding bandit camps, dungeons, fighting dragons, stopping vampires/weirdos from slaughtering an entire village. There are even more hidden quests without any markers or obvious clues. 

@The Blackangel I'm always happy to bait you, in a good way of course :) I think it's awesome you play FF8 over and over. The world needs more people who are able to love something so much that they continue to engage with it like that for years. 

@killamch89 I see what you mean, although what you said kind of is my point about Skyrim (and I say this as someone who loves playing Skyrim). There isn't much difference between a bandit camp and a dungeon save for the type of enemies, and only a few dungeons have really stand-out, unique features that I can think of. There are a few quests that stand out though, like the one where you go to fight pirates on an island, and the one with the Forsworn in Markarth.

@kingpotato Good call about NV. I agree, NV actually has pretty good quest variety. 

On 6/19/2019 at 10:40 PM, skyfire said:

If you are into the Android games and like RPG, maybe "ELCHRONICLE" is something you may enjoy. Though it has some good levels and also good story. It has some amount of grinding attached to it. 

Do you still play the game? How many hours do you play it for and how many hours total have you played it for?