Register Now
StaceyPowers

In what video game location would you most like to eat a picnic?

I am listening to the ambient noise from the Emerald Vale from The Outer Worlds right now while I am working. I haven’t had a chance yet to actually play The Outer Worlds, but it sounds like such a peaceful, idyllic environment (let me guess—it’s probably full of insane enemies =D).

It got me thinking about in-game locations where I wish I could eat a picnic, hike, and just relax for a day IRL. The top one which comes to mind is definitely The Rift from Skyrim. I would say most specifically that part of it where the trees meet the mountains over where that one hunter dude who worships Kyne (forgot his name) has his house. I never get tired of just hanging out in that area. Of course, pretty much anywhere in the Rift would be amazing, so long as one is avoiding the bears. It being perpetual autumn is a big plus =D

My next pick would probably be Arcadia from BioShock. Not because it is the world’s greatest picnic location or anything, because it totally isn’t. More just because I am always trying to imagine what it was like to live in Rapture before the fall.

What about you? In what in-game location would you most like to just enjoy a relaxing afternoon?

Pretty much any cemetery. I find more peace and serenity in cemeteries than I do anywhere else. When I was younger, If I wasn't able to sleep, I would go to a nearby cemetery with a blanket and a pillow. Sometimes in a mausoleum, other times just out in the open. I have always waited until late at night to walk in a cemetery. The stillness of the night, and the quiet is so relaxing. There was a forgotten cemetery in the woods near the house I grew up in that I spent a large amount of time at. The most recent headstone had a death date in 1927. The rest were from the mid to late 1800's. A lot of them were veterans from the Civil War. I spent time pulling up weeds, and trying to re-erect stones that had fallen over. Some were broken, so there wasn't too much I could do for them. I even took some black paint and repainted in the names and dates and everything on the old ones. They were limestone headstones, so they were worn down like crazy. That's the weird thing. The one that had the 1927 date on it was marble. All the rest were limestone. That always perplexed me. If I wasn't stuck in a damn wheelchair, I would go back to it. I really miss being able to visit that cemetery. I think I'm the only one that even knows about it anymore.

8 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Pretty much any cemetery. I find more peace and serenity in cemeteries than I do anywhere else. When I was younger, If I wasn't able to sleep, I would go to a nearby cemetery with a blanket and a pillow. Sometimes in a mausoleum, other times just out in the open. I have always waited until late at night to walk in a cemetery. The stillness of the night, and the quiet is so relaxing. There was a forgotten cemetery in the woods near the house I grew up in that I spent a large amount of time at. The most recent headstone had a death date in 1927. The rest were from the mid to late 1800's. A lot of them were veterans from the Civil War. I spent time pulling up weeds, and trying to re-erect stones that had fallen over. Some were broken, so there wasn't too much I could do for them. I even took some black paint and repainted in the names and dates and everything on the old ones. They were limestone headstones, so they were worn down like crazy. That's the weird thing. The one that had the 1927 date on it was marble. All the rest were limestone. That always perplexed me. If I wasn't stuck in a damn wheelchair, I would go back to it. I really miss being able to visit that cemetery. I think I'm the only one that even knows about it anymore.

I was asking specifically about video game locations for picnics =D but this is a more interesting response than I would have gotten on that. People tend to avoid cemeteries, so they do seem very tranquil to me too, and aesthetically, they can be quite lovely. That sounds like an amazing place full of history, and its neglect makes me sad. I am sure that the maintenance you did has helped though, and that the place appreciated the care you gave it.

Wrapping around to this, the Memorial Gardens (cemetery) in BioShock Infinite would be a nice place for a picnic, assuming one hasn’t yet awakened/manifested Lady Comstock’s “ghost.” There is also a nice cemetery in Rapture, but I don’t recall if it is in BioShock 1 or 2.