Register Now
m76

Guess the place

Can you guess the place? It's like geoguessr, but with my own pictures. Of course if you know the place it will be easy. If there is no correct guess I'll provide additional hints.
Or you can cheat by using reverse image search, but what's the fun in that?

I'm lucky enough to have had been to a few countries so I Have a lot of material for this.

place1.jpg

Well let’s see:

The statue must be a WW1/2 memorial given the reef-motif at the base, as well as a space to place reefs during a memorial service...  So it’s most likely in Europe.

I'll discount the UK because I would probably recognize the Cathederal if it was.

What I DO recognize is that sky, and that sure ain’t no warm Medetarianian sky!  That is a cold and dismal North Sea one.  Not to mention the two people we can see are pretty warped up so it’s not warm.

So…... Western Mainland Europe, most likely North Sea Coastline.

That's about all I can figure out.

Edited by Crazycrab

Well, it's in the North, just not mainland, and not the North Sea. The sky might have been misleading because the photograph was taken at 4:30AM, hence the lack of tourists.

On 9/11/2020 at 1:56 AM, Crazycrab said:

Well let’s see:

The statue must be a WW1/2 memorial given the reef-motif at the base, as well as a space to place reefs during a memorial service...  So it’s most likely in Europe.

I'll discount the UK because I would probably recognize the Cathederal if it was.

What I DO recognize is that sky, and that sure ain’t no warm Medetarianian sky!  That is a cold and dismal North Sea one.  Not to mention the two people we can see are pretty warped up so it’s not warm.

So…... Western Mainland Europe, most likely North Sea Coastline.

That's about all I can figure out.

Here is a closeup of the statue. The person depicted will pretty much narrow down the options.

plac1_.jpg

18 minutes ago, m76 said:

Well, it's in the North, just not mainland, and not the North Sea. The sky might have been misleading because the photograph was taken at 4:30AM, hence the lack of tourists.

Here is a closeup of the statue. The person depicted will pretty much narrow down the options.

plac1_.jpg

Mmm, 1863. So @Crazycrab was wrong it has nothing to with WWII. Other than that, I have no idea.

42 minutes ago, m76 said:

plac1_.jpg

I think it says Alexander II....  1863...  I dont know.  I'd look it up but I think it might give the location it away and don't wanna do that.

Well if you look up Alexender II, his wikipedia page mentions three countries he ruled in. It also explains the significance of 1863, and there is actually a photo of this statue there. Doing research is allowed.

Edited by m76

36 minutes ago, m76 said:

Well if you look up Alexender II, his wikipedia page mentions three countries he ruled in. It also explains the significance of 1863, and there is actually a photo of this statue there. Doing research is allowed.

Got it. The Monument to Alexander II of Russia outside the Helsinki City Cathedral, Helsinki, Finland. 

I'm 99% certain that's the US, from the architecture most likely south-west, San Diego-ish. The tall building in the background stands out as it seems more east coast. That's all I can figure out by looking at the picture.

6 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

It's not from Wikipedia, and I guarantee you 100% it's not San Diego.

I know it's not San Diego, I said I found the picture on wikipedia, I just didn't want to reveal the city so soon.

Edited by m76